Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I just received a call from Mark Shields Acct. Manager for

Customer Question

I just received a call from Mark Shields Acct. Manager for American Family Publishers and said I had won $2,500,000 in a SWEEPSTAKE, but I must send $1,400.00 today in overnight mail in a money order to Marilyn Lasey , 2248 Tanglewood Trail, Virginia Beach, Virginia 233454. I assume this is a scam.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Yes, you are absolutely correct that this is a scam. In addition to the fact that "American Family Publishers" is not running any sweepstakes and that the address you've been given is a residential address in Virginia, real sweepstakes winners are NEVER, EVER required to send a penny to collect their winnings. Any fees or costs are simply deducted from the massive sum that has already been won. There is never any need to send money to get prize money and as soon as you are told otherwise you can be assured you are dealing with a fraud. More specifically, this is what's known as an "advance fee" scam. These scams have numerous variations but the essential facts they all have in common is that the victim is contacted and informed of sweepstakes winnings, inheritance or some other financial windfall and told that they need to pay a "processing fee" or bank transfer fee in order to receive their winnings. Of course, there is no sum of money for the victim and this is merely a ploy to get the victim to send their own advance payment, with which the scammer will promptly disappear. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Was I able to answer your question? Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance. It is my pleasure to do so if necessary....
Can you please let me know if you are receiving my messages?