Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

I have seen an add John Deere tractor online. I am interested

Customer Question

I have seen an add for a John Deere tractor online. I am interested in buying this. The vendor is going through google wallet and says that your agents have the title and the tractor. It is below typical market price and I am concerned it is a scam. The seller in in Baltimore Maryland. Can you please tell me if this is legitimate and what would be my risk.
Craig Walker MD
email ***@******.***
phone(###) ###-####
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Craig, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. A LOT of scam artists like to post items for sale and then say they're processing through Google Wallet, but then they come up with a reason they need you to wire transfer the money instead, or use MoneyPak. Have they said anything like that? Are they allowing you the opportunity to see the item in person? Are they asking you to pay upfront before you can see the item or they give it to you? All of those are huge red flags and reasons to RUN away from the transaction. Also, Google Wallet isn't an escrow service. If they said they've given the title and the tractor so an agent through Google Wallet, they're lying. That's not how the service works.You may also want to run a Google Images search to see if the exact same photograph is appearing on multiple sites around the world (or was taken from Wikipedia). Both strongly suggest it's a scam. The risk is high, because if it's NOT legitimate, you lose every penny you send to them. And most of the people who do these scams aren't located in the United States, nor are they giving you their real names, so it's impossible to get any of the money back.