Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Please could give me some answers on sgt john murray in the

Customer Question

please could give me some answers on sgt john murray in the usa air force, is he married has a 4yr olb son, asking for money,to replace his weapon taken out of his hand, wants 180us dollors. told me he was single, his dob is 12/4/52 or 14/9 /54
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. There is absolutely no reason why anyone in the U.S. Air Force would ask a civilian for money to replace a weapon. The Air Force pays for the cost of all weapons, and soldiers are NEVER required to contribute to that cost. If you are being asked to send money to someone claiming to be a soldier for this reason, you are dealing with what's known as a military romance scam. The idea of these military romance scams is simple: To pose as an soldier as a ploy to gain the trust of the victim (using stolen pictures, a fake name and a fictitious story), then develop an online relationship and once the victim becomes hooked, ask for money to come visit, for medical expenses, or for some other reason. Of course, in reality the scammer is not who he claims to be, has no intention to meet you, and is not even a member of the military. This is simply a ploy to get you to send money, and the scammer will string you along for as long as you continue to send money.These scams are so frequent that the United States military has issued a warning about them, which you can read here.Although I am rather certain you are dealing with a scam based only on these limited facts, there is a rather straight forward way to determine conclusively if this person is in the military, and thus, whether they are being truthful with you about everything else. All active military individuals are issued a military email address. It will end in "@af.mil." There are no exceptions. Ask for this man to send you an email from his military email address. If he's a scammer, he will come up with some excuse why or "guilt" you out of questioning his legitimacy, but the bot***** *****ne is that if he can't send you an email from a "@af.mil" address, he is not in the military.If this man is genuine and serious about proving his legitimacy to you, he should also have no problem providing you with his social security number, which you can look up to determine conclusively whether he is an active serviceman here. This will do nothing to jeopardize his security and if he says that, he's just trying to avoid having you check out his story. Again, any excuses here should also be regarded as confirmation of a scam, as this is an extremely straight forward and foolproof way to determine if someone is in the military.You would be wise to keep all the above in mind and ask for this man to send you an email from his official military email account. If he cannot do this, then it is a scam, end of story. Additionally, you would be wise to demand his social security number so that you can confirm he is active military personnel. Unfortunately, there is no way to conduct a traditional background check on these individuals because the information they give is either completely fictitious, or the information for a real individual who is simply not them. In either case, traditional background check "tools" will be useless.I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Was I able to answer your question here? Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.....