Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Licensed Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Attorney / former Law Enforcement Agent
26296561

Why would Bank of America block my debit card fraud

Customer Question

Why would Bank of America block my debit card for global fraud on an account that was just opened
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.Did you contact Bank of America fraud department to inquire about this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. They said to call the global fraud division which is closed, and another man said I would have to come to a branch. My opening deposit bounced, I'm wondering if that is the problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any ideas
Thank you for your follow up.Generally, if the check that was deposited to open the account bounced, then the account would be frozen and the card blocked based on suspected fraud and the account holder would have to contact BOA Global Fraud Department and this department would instruct the customer / account holder what had to be done in order to reinstate the account (if it is an option).I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get in trouble for this? The check was written to me by someone else
Thank you for your follow up.Who gave you the check?What was the amount?Did you withdraw any money from the bank account before check has bounced?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband, $540, I did not withdraw anything.
Thank you for your follow up.In which state was the check deposited?Why did this check bounce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ohio. And he closed the account before the check cleared.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I need to do before calling global fraud on Monday
Thank you for your follow up.Passing a bad check is a misdemeanor of the first degree (http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2913.11) and punishable by up to 180 days in jail and fine of up to $1000 plus criminal restitution upon conviction.Generally, it is the person who issued a bad check that would be subject to criminal prosecution, unless the person who passed such check to the bank knew that the check was bad and was going to bounce.I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.