How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23556
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sent money to someone through moneygram in florida, and am

Customer Question

i sent money to someone through moneygram in florida, and am in bronx. turns out the person in florida Iris Zelaya is a fraud, is there a way i can alert the police to track her down?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Yes, you can certainly report this matter to the authorities If she really is who and where she says she is (most romance scammers prey on victims from outside of their victims' countries) they can investigate and possibly be able to bring her to justice. With a criminal fraud, the court of jurisdiction is in the county where the crime was committed. This would mean reporting her to the Florida police that serves her location. Contact them and let them know that she defrauded you and that you wish to press charges. Since this is an interstate matter, you can also report the fraud to the FBI. If this was an online scam, they ask that these be reported to their Internet Crime Complaint Center online. I have linked you to where you can make out a report. Alternatively, you can try contacting the FBI field office nearest you, though you will likely find that they will want you to use their website for a crime such as this. Finally, if you can't seem to interest either the police or the FBI, you would still have legal recourse through civil court. You could hire a lawyer and sue her for the return of your money, or bring suit for fraud in small claims court and spare yourself the legal fees.

Related Fraud Examiner Questions