Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Facebook lottery,s.is there anything as a facebook lottery

Customer Question

facebook lottery,s.is there anything as a facebook lottery?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
William, Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. Facebook does not run, sponsor or endorse a legitimate lottery of any kind. If you have been informed of "Facebook lottery winnings," you can be assured you are dealing with a scam. Specifically, it would be a variation of what is commonly known as an "advance fee" or "419" scam, in which individuals are contacted and informed of sweepstakes winnings and told that they need to pay a"processing fee" or other up front money in order to receive their winnings. Don't be misled. Not only does Facebook not sponsor a lottery of any kind, but by law you can't win a sweepstakes or lottery that you never entered--voluntarily participation is required in all jurisdictions. These scammers will take your "advance fee" and disappear with it. They will likely also take the personal information you supply to collect your prize and commit identity theft with it. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you ,patrick,the person from facebook,melina luna,say,s facebook do not run scams,but I can not see facebook running a scam,would be bad for their imagebut as my father always said you never get anything for nothing,should I report this to the police? thank you.william
Thank you for your reply, William. While it's true that Facebook does not run scams, the thing is you are not communicating with someone from Facebook. You are communicating with an impostor con artist. So, you can't believe anything they say as it's all designed to get you to send money. Since this fraud occurred through use of the internet, an individual in your circumstance can report it to the Internet Crime Complaint Center (a division of the FBI that specifically handles internet fraud) here. You can also submit a claim with the Federal Trade Commission's bureau of consumer protection here. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.Very best wishes.
Can I clarify anything else for you?