Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have a request from Bank Negara Malaysia to pay $1500 to

Customer Question

I have a request from Bank Negara Malaysia to pay $1500 to get the code for getting into my account at BMCE bank. I can log into this account but without the code, I cannot make transfers. I think I'm being scammed.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Yes, unfortunately you are being scammed. I'm sure you've opened up bank accounts in the past and that you know that you do not have to pay money to get online banking. You also can't open an account in a foreign country without a residence in that country. So whatever website you are looking at, it does not belong to a real bank. It's a site set up by your scammers to make you think that you have an account there, but since it is not a bank and since there's no real account you cannot make transfers in or out. The site exists so that the scammers will have excuses to ask you for money, such as the $1,500 they want now.

Also, the Bank Negara is the government of Malaysia's bank. It is not a commercial bank and has nothing to do with the affairs of private individuals. It's the equivalent of the Federal Reserve Bank in the States.

People who ask a question like this have been scammed into thinking that they have money waiting for them in a foreign bank -- usually, but not always, a so-called inheritance -- but there are various hoops that they have to jump through to clear those funds so that they can get them. Sometimes, it involves wiring off money which you think is opening up a foreign bank account. There's no necessity for that. If there really were money and it is really yours, they could transfer it to your own US bank. It's just an excuse for the scammers to get your money.

Then there are other reasons, such as needing a code, or needing an anti-terrorist/anti-money laundering certifiate, or needing a lawyer in Malaysia to assist you to clear your funds. None of these are real requirements, and any lawyers or bankers your scammers direct you to are not real.

Cease conversation with these fakes. Send no more money. YOu will never see any money you send these people and there is no money for you in your "account" in Malaysia. Report the fraud to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.