Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I received a strange e-mail this morning that said I was being

Customer Question

I received a strange e-mail this morning that said I was being arrested if I didn't pay $65 dollars today and it said it was from the FBI. I know that it is a scam of some kind but I thought I should report it and I was told to report it to this e-mail. What do I do mow. Joyce [email protected] mail,.com
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Yes, you're right. This is a scam, and it's one we have heard before. You would never find out that you were being arrested by an email. An email has no type of legal sufficiency. When you're going to be prosecuted you'd be arrested, or you'd get served with a summons or a citation. Also, you can't avoid an arrest by paying $65 to the FBI. The FBI warns on its website that it doesn't send emails. Everything about the communication you received is bogus. They are phishing for your personal information and to steal money from you. If you were to pay the $65, that lets the scammer know that you read their email. Then they know they have a live fish on their hook and they will find some other reason to ask for considerably more money from you. So you should ignore the email, at least in the sense that you should not reply to the so-called FBI and you should not send any money. You are not in any real trouble. But you want to report the fraud to the real FBI. They have a special website for internet crime called the Internet Crime Complaint Center. You can fill out a report online and give them all your information about the email. You should also report the fraud to the Federal Trade Commission. You will find their website at FTC.gov.