Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

Is tomtop.com a scam

Customer Question

Is tomtop.com a scam
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Can you explain more about your situation? Is there a specific individual or transaction on this site that you're asking about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The name of the website is Tomtop .com I wanna know if it's a scam website or what?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
There are dozens of legitimate websites that are used and abused by scam artists (for example: ebay, Craigslist, and virtually every dating website that exists). Even if the site itself is legitimate, that would never guarantee a particular transaction. To provide you with useful information, it would help significantly to know more about what you are attempting to accomplish. The more information you can give me, the better answer you'll receive.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
There are several complaints against the company here, including allegations that they're sending empty boxes and refusing to issue refunds.http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/tomtop-c211200.html I also found a number of positive reviews, but the language tended to suggest that most of them were written by the same person or groups of people (repeated phrases that are not common in native English speakers), reviews from people purportedly in America, with American names, that used similar syntax to the way scam artists tend to speak, and things like that. So that's a red flag.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Another red flag is that they list wire transfer as one of their accepted payment methods. That's a very unsecured way of sending money, and it's impossible to get it back if you don't receive the items they're supposed to send you. You can't sue them in the US (or, more accurately, there is no way to collect a judgment if you do), so the odds of recovery are close to zero. They're not located in the US, so the US government can't ensure compliance with US consumer protection laws.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about Aliexpress is that website a scam
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
This site has more than 1,500 reviews on Alliexpress, with an average rating of 2.7 out of 10. That's very bad.https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.aliexpress.com
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
One thing to look for when buying online is to make sure the websites are authorized resellers of the products they're offering. There are a lot of fake sites that purport to sell electronics or cell phones, but if you check Apple or Samsung's website (or the other companies), you'll find they're not listed as someone that's allowed to sell these goods. And that means they're either selling knockoffs or stolen items, or they're selling in violation of the law, all of which are very good reason to steer clear. Note also that if you buy counterfeit goods from another country online, and Customs finds them when they enter the country, they'll seize your package. In that scenario, there's no way to get your money back, because it's just like if a police officer found illegal drugs on you.