Ben Jones
Ben Jones, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with fraud examination experience
29905560

I need some legal advice and wanted to know if you

Customer Question

I need some legal advice and wanted to know if you could assist me with that or at least direct me to the individuals who may be able too. In short, my fiancé is in the US Army and I sent him $20,000 dollars to be deposited in his bank account overseas. It is difficult to send that amount of money overseas so he asked me to deposit the money into an account belonging to his army friends girlfriends account here in the United States. Against my better judgment I deposited my money into this persons Wells Fargo Bank account. Obviously, my fiancé and myself made a huge mistake. This individual disappeared with my money. I have all of this individuals personal information such as her name, address, phone number, and banking information. I spoke with the police department in the state of Iowa where she lives and they went to her home to speak with her. This woman denied ever knowing her boyfriend or agreeing to do any favor for my fiancé. The Iowa police department stated that they know of this individual because she has had previous issues with the law. I have the deposit banking receipts proving that I deposited this money into her account. If you could advise me with how to proceed with legal action against this woman I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for time with this matter.
Sincerely,
Diana XXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Diana, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that this happened. The first half of your question sounds like a textbook dating scam, so please forgive me for asking, but have you met your fiancé in person? Have you met the friend in person? Also, did you ever speak with the friend's girlfriend before putting money into her account? That can make a difference as to legal theories of recovery.