Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

How do I find out if a connection from facebook is not a

Customer Question

how do I find out if a connection from facebook is not a scammer
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

What else can you tell me about this person? How long have you known them? Have you met in person? Are they asking for money?

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If you can link the profile, that would also help. Or, if this is someone who reached out to you initially, and you still have the first message you got from them, that also helps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Or has a profile on facebook
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Is this him?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010548786553

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Also, I understand that this can be a sensitive situation, but the more information you can give me, the better. Scam artists use made-up names, fake email addresses, and other people's identities. That means that the way to find out if it's a scam its through an analysis of the behavior. Names, email addresses, and photographs change constantly, but the underlying scam has many distinctive earmarks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is the one
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Here are two very good reason to be wary, just at first glance.

1. He's claiming to be in the military. Military scams are both disgusting and pervasive, because they thrive on both the victim's patriotism and by claiming that the U.S. government abandons its soldiers in foreign countries and charges them for things like taking leave (this is untrue).
  2. Widowed. Because that inspires sympathy in the victim. A huge percentage of these scam artists claim to be widowed, especially those in their mid-40s or older.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm not finding that name, email address, or those pictures as having been reported in connection with a scam. But that does NOT mean he is legitimate, not by a long shot. If he is asking for money, run. Cut off all contact. That is always a scam.

There are two very easy ways you can find out if someone is really in the military.

1. Ask him to email you from his official military-issued email address. This will always end in something like @us.army.mil. If .mil are not the LAST three letters, it's a fake email address.
  2. Look him up through the Service Member Verification site. This site is provided by the US government and will not in any way cause a security risk for the soldier being looked up. https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/appj/scra/welcome.xhtml
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

One thing you can do on your own is look at the early messages he sent you (especially if you have the first one). Copy/paste it into Google. There's a good chance you'll find other men saying the exact same thing to other people. Scam artists tend to reuse the same letters over and over.