Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

My father died oct 31, 2015. he lives in florida and I live

Customer Question

my father died oct 31, 2015. he lives in florida and I live in Michigan. been able to His bank accounts had me as pod but I haven't been able to get down there yet to close the accounts. the major problem is he has an ex-wife who was living with him during this time and is still present in his home. I know I need to get a death certificate and locate the accounts (I have a good idea of where they are) also I am very certain she is continuing to utilize money from these accounts durin this time. Can I at least put a freeze on the accounts for now until I get there and locate them? thank you
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney and I look forward to assisting you.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
My condolences for your loss.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
How is she accessing the account if it is in your father's name only?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she does a lot of online transfers to accounts she has and to credit cards, etc. since they live in the same home she has had very easy access
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is okay, it may help others.. also I am seeing an attorney, here in Michigan tomorrow.
If he cannot answer everything I need I will definitely pay the $100 to get the questions I need answered ~ thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, they were divorced here in Michigan (I believe 1n 1993) can I get a copy of their divorce records as this is precisely why he divorced her back then. She has racked up I believe 80-90k in credit card debt in his name. She was sending the credit cards and the statements to a p.o. box, so he had no idea. He and she were told to not have any further contact "EVER".
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Yes, call the bank first thing in the morning and let them know that there may be a security breach on the accounts and that the account holder has died and someone is accessing the accounts online without authority.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
The bank should cut off online access immediately.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you still with me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was old, apx 74, lonely, etc., so he let her move to florida with him. She just turned 74 has over 20 alias', and has lived a life of crime. I am not only trying to mourn the recent loss of him but I know of her capabilities. I am certain she filed for the death certificate as she was "supposedly" present when he passed and I am aware of 3 life insurance policies hes had out for her benefit. I do not know the banks for sure but I do have a fairly good Idea of which ones he would likely use. I also believe he had a bank account up North in Michigan, that she would have access to as well. Again I do not know the bank or the account number but I am 100% sure she does.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anyway to search for the accounts without having the death certificate?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You will need a death certificate to access the accounts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but if I am on as POD will they at least freeze the accounts?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Yes, they should freeze the accounts if you let them know there is unauthorized access.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now, about gaining access to their divorce records can I do that? The court is not far from where I live. Can I have her immediately removed for being , in his Florida home (in my name) when it was part of the divorce settlement that they never "EVER"see each again??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
**Remember this divorce was in 1994 (in Michigan), she has been there apx 6-7 years now (in Florida).
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Order the court file from the clerk's office. The executor can have her evicted once the estate is in probate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also what is the quickest way to get a death certificate from Florida?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Contact the dept of public records for the county where he died.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get the estate to probate and how will that work with me being in michigan?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
You will need an attorney in Florida to file for probate.The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program: https://www.floridabar.org/divpgm/lronline.nsf/wreferral6?OpenForm
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Any further questions?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Have I answered your questions?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Still there?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Ok....goodnight and you are welcome.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?