Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

I NEED TO KNOW IF THE MAN I BEEN TALKING TO 3 MONTHS IS REA

Customer Question

I NEED TO KNOW IF THE MAN I BEEN TALKING TO FOR ALMOST 3 MONTHS IS REAL JAY ***** ***** US ARMY RESEVERE LIVES IN CLEMSON SC FT JOB FOREMOST INS AGENT CONTRACTOR ,HE SAID HE INVESTAGATE FRAUD CLAIMS/& ARSON AND TAKES PPL TO COURT TOO HE WORKS SC AND GA AREA , HE HAS NEVER ASK ME FOR ANYTHING. BUT HE KNOWS MY LIFE AS MUCH AS WE HAVE TALKED also his dob his dec 21 1974 he is 40 now and said he is divorced with 2 twins girls that his wife has custody of they are 15 but he has not given me there names
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening and welcome. Does this man claim to PRESENTLY be in the U.S. Army reserve? What makes you suspect he may not be genuine? Also, where is he presently located? Has he recently gone overseas, or is he planning such a trip? I look forward to assisting you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HE CLAIMS TO BE PRESENTLY IN US ARMY RESERVE YES HIS NAME IS JAY ***** ***** HE SAID HIS DOB IS 12-21-74 HE SAID HE IS 40 AND WILL BE 41 IN DEC. HE SAID HE IS DIVORCED HAS TWINS 15 , HE SAID HE WORKS FT FOR FOREMOST INSURANCE AGENCY AS ARSON/DISTEAR CLAIMS OVER 150K & HE WORKS SC & GA HE ALSO SAID HE IS REGIONAL MGR FOR THIS COMPANY WITH 37 EMPLOYEE UNDER HIM AND WAS FULL TIME ARMY B-4 GOING TO RESERVE HE SAID HE IS ORIG FROM TENNESSEE HIS PHONE NUMBER SEARCH COMES BACK ATHENS TN , ( THE REASON I THINK HE MIGHT BE LYING TO ME IS EVERY WEEKEND WE SUPPOSE TO MEET SOMETHING STOPS HIM HE SAYS HE HAS TO WORK OR HE IS STRESSED AND HIS PHONE IS OFF TODAY AND EVERY WEEKEND PHONE HAS BEEN OFF WE BEEN TALKING SINCE SEPT 8TH 2015 (THERE WAS ANOTHER MAN ON CRAIG LIST SAME PICTURE AS HIS ARMY TRUCK FROM WHAT HE SAID COULD HAVE BEEN STOLEN SAME AGE SO I TEXT THIS OTHER NUMBER AND AT FIRST HE SAID HE WAS JAY MORGAN THEN HE SAID HE WAS SOMEONE NAME ANDREW FAIR US ARMY HE JUST WANTED TO BE SURE I WAS REAL & WOULD NOT CHEAT ON HIM THIS MAN FAIR THEN SAID HE LIED HE WAS NOT JAY MORGAN HE WAS MR FAIR IN HIS AD HE SAID SAME AS JAY "DON'T CHEAT ON ME") NOW YOU UNDERSTAND MY CONCERN ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ALSO IS THIS KEPT PVT I CAN NOT HAVE IT BLASTED OVER NET OR HIM KNOW I AM LOOKING INTO THIS AND I HAVE TOLD HIM MY LIFE STORY HE KNOWS ALL ABOUT ME MY ADDRESS AND ALL HE SAID HE CANT GIVE ME HIS ADDRESS HE HAS A MALE ROOM MATE AND DOESN'T WANT TO BE DISRESPCET THE ROOM MATE BY HAVING A FEMALE VISIT HIM ONCE IN A WHILE THEY HAVE MADE AGREEMENT THEY WONT DO THIS BUT IN OTHER CONVERSATION HE SAID THE MALE IS NEVER HOME HARDLY ..
Thank you. These are SERIOUS red flags that you are dealing with what's known as a military romance scam. In fact, I will go so far as to say there's about a 99% chance that is what you're dealing with. The idea behind the "military romance" fraud is simple: To pose as an soldier as a ploy to gain the trust of the victim (using stolen and "photoshopped" pictures, a fake name and a fictitious story, etc.), then develop an online relationship and once the victim becomes hooked, ask for money to come visit, for medical expenses, or for some other reason. Of course, in reality the scammer is not who he claims to be, has no intention to meet you, and is not even a member of the military. This is simply a ploy to eventually get you to send money, and the scammer will string you along for as long as you continue to do so. These scams are so frequent that the United States military has issued a warning about them, which you can read here.Although you are most likely dealing with a scam, there is a rather straight forward way to determine CONCLUSIVELY if this person is in the military, and thus, whether they are being truthful with you about everything else. All active military individuals are issued a military email address. It will end in "@army.mil," for Army, and there are NO exceptions. Ask for this man to send you an email from his military email address. If he's a scammer, he will come up with some excuse why or "guilt" you out of questioning his legitimacy, but the bot***** *****ne is that if he can't send you an email from a an official military address, he is not in the military.If this man is genuine and serious about proving his legitimacy to you, he should also have no problem providing you with his social security number, which you can look up to determine conclusively whether he is an active serviceman here. Again, any excuses here should also be regarded as confirmation of a scam, as this is an extremely straight forward and foolproof way to determine if someone is in the military.You would be wise to keep all the above in mind and, if you desire further proof of the fraud, ask for this man to send you an email from his official military email account. If he cannot do this, then it is a scam, end of story. Additionally, you would be wise to demand his social security number so that you can confirm he is active military personnel.In the mean time, be extremely careful not to reveal sensitive personal information (i.e. bank accounts social security number, etc.) to this man, as that can later be used to commit identity theft. I hope you find this information helpful. If I can clarify anything at all, please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HE HAS ALSO ASK ME WHEN CAN I MARRY HIM " I TOLD HIM MY DIVORCE WILL NOT BE FINAL TILL DEC 2015" HE SAID WITH IN A WEEK AFTER TALKING THAT HE WAS FALLING IN LOVE WITH ME NOW I AM FALLING FOR HIM HE HAS NEVER ASK ME FOR ANYTHING YET HE DOES KNOW I AM ON SOCIAL SEC DISABILITY HAVE MANY HEALTH ISSUES I AM 49YR OLD WHITE FEMALE
That is also a HUGE red flag of a scam--not having even met you and yet already talking about marriage. Heed my warning, and use the steps outlined above if you desire further confirmation of this fraud.
Unfortunately, I cannot accept customer phone calls but I am more than happy to answer any follow up questions for you here, through this forum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I THOUGHT YOU WOULD BE ABLE TO CONFIRM FOR ME IF HE IS REAL OR NOT , I HAVE ALREADY READ ABOUT THE military SCAMS I WANT TO KNOW IF HE IS REAL I GAVE YOU HIS NAME JAY ***** ***** DOB 12-21-74 FROM TENNESSEE DIVORCED TWIN GIRLS . HE HAS NEVER ASK ME FOR MONEY IT'S BEEN 3 MOS HE HAS NEVER ASK ME FOR MY SSN OR MY BANK ACCOUNT INFORMATION , HE WANTED TO MEET ME LAST NIGHT IN GREENVILLE SC BUT I BY TIME I LEFT HERE IN NC WHERE I LIVE IT WOULD HAVE BEEN DARK : HE SAID "NO I DON'T WANT YOU DRIVING IN THE NIGHT BECAUSE YOU MAY GET HARMED" LET'S WAIT AND SEE IF I GET OFF IN TIME TOMORROW TO MEET YOU IF NOT WE CAN MEET NEXT WEEKEND MAYBE. HE DID OFFER TO SEND ME A CHECK TO HELP ME PAY MY BILLS BECAUSE I LOST MY ROOM MATE AND I TOLD HIM I WOULD HAVE LITTLE MONEY LEFT HE KNOWS I LIVE DAY TO DAY I TOLD HIM THAT WHEN WE FIRST STARTED TALKING " I SAID LISTEN TO ME I AM NOT RICH I HAVE NO MONEY BY TIME I PAY MY BILLS I AM LUCK IF I HAVE ENOUGH MONEY FOR GAS LEFT TO LAST ME THE MONTH " MY MOTHER BRINGS ME FOOD SHE REALLY DOES AND I TOLD HIM THAT ALSO ..SO I JUST THOUGHT YOU COULD LET ME KNOW IF HE IS REAL OR NOT . THIS IS NOT A SATIFIED ANSWER THIS IS THINGS YOU LOOK UP ON INTERNET SO EITHER DO YOUR JOB OR REFUND MY MONEY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I GAVE YOU THE COMPANY HE SAID HE WORKS FOR YOU CAN CALL THEM AND FIND OUT CAN'T YOU CANT YOU CALL MILTARY AND SEE IF HE IS IN RESERVE OR NOT ? DO SOMETHING BESIDES GIVE ME INFORMANTION I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT AND HAVE ALREDY READ ABOUT BEFORE I CONTACT YOU I NOT PAY 50.00 FOR INFRO FROM INTERNET THAT IS CRAZY
Since romance scammers give fake names and information, it is impossible to perform a traditional background check. I provided you with a way to determine defintively and without any doubt whether this man is legitimate--by asking for him to send you an email from his official Army email address and by looking up his Social Security number in the database for active servicemen. I am unclear what this is not a satisfactory answer to your question and it accomplishes exactly what you came here to accomplish--to determine whether you are dealing with someone who is the person they claim to be. Please consider the above. I am trying the hardest I can to help you, and I believe I have.
Before you posted your question did you already know to ask for him to send you an email from his official Army email, and did you know you could look him up by his Social Security number in a database of active servicemen? If you did not know these things, then respectfully, ***** ***** believe I helped you and provided you with something other than what you were able to locate on the internet on your own. I feel that it's a bit unfair to say that I have been of no help to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WELL THEN YOU CALL FOREMOST AND SEE IF JAY ***** ***** WORKS FOR THEM THEN I WILL KNOW IF HE IS REAL OKAY THAT IS WHAT I WANT YOU TO DO THE INFORMATION YOU GIVE ME "IS NOT TO MY SATIFY" I KNOW YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT TILL MONDAY TO DO SO I CAN WAIT YOU HAVE HIS DOB HIS NAME SO PLEASE DO THAT . CAN YOU DO THAT . I DID NOT COME HERE TO GET WHAT I ALREDY KNOW.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i ALREADY KNEW ALL THAT STUFF IT TELLS YOU ON THE WEBSITE HOW TO FIND OUT IF ONE IS IN MILTARY IF YOU CAN'T CALL HIS COMPANY AND FIND OUT IF HE WORKS THERE THEN I WANT MY MONEY BACK THIS IS NOT FAIR !!
Unfortunately, this is a question and answer site, it is not a place to obtain private investigator services and I therefore cannot make phone calls on your behalf. You would need to hire a private investigator o do what you are wanting me to do. If you would like a refund because you are unsatisfied, please let me know and I will go ahead and notify the site administrators. I hope you have a pleasant rest of your evening and I wish you the best in resolving this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
YES I WANT A REFUND CAUSE I KNEW EVERYTHING YOU TOLD ME SO YOU WHERE NO HELP
Okay, I am sorry I could not help you. Like I said, I will contact the site moderators. I wish you the very best. Kindest regards, Patrick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHEN WILL I GET MY REFUND
I have forwarded your request to the site administrators. I am just an attorney who answers questions here, so unfortunately I cannot process it myself. Have a pleasant rest of your evening, the refund will be processed soon. Good luck and take care. Patrick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CAUSE I WILL DISPUTE IT IF THEY DO NOT GIVE IT TO ME THIS IS NOT FAIR AT ALL, YOU HAVE A BLESSED EVENING I WILL CALL MYSELF THE COMPANY ON MONDAY SINCE YOU CAN'T DO FOR ME
There is no need to file a credit card dispute or to be upset. The site is good about processing refunds. Take care and god bless.