Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

My name is***** and am enquiring who to contact

Customer Question

My name is***** and am enquiring who to contact about some online dating fraud. This first one is a person by the name of Tracy Triance who says they live in Ballarat Victoria but travels overseas on business,not sure who they are or what passport
they use. THE EMAIL ADDRESS USED IS***@******.*** Number two is a person by the name of Suzi XXXX who lives in Newcastle N.S.W. but is stranded in Malaysia finalising her mothers business.What started as five day visit gone out to three weeks.EMAIL
ADDRESS IS***@******.*** AND HAS SKYPE CONNECTED AT HOME
Category: Fraud Examiner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The previous question regarding Suzi Coby is that she may be traveling on a American passport as she used to live over there.She may have only been in Australia for a short time as her mother passed away twelve months ago.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to see that you have been victimized by romance scammers. The only good news is that one you can recognize the pattern -- which you seem to have done -- you won't waste your time or your money trying to develop a relationship with them. As soon as they tell you that they are in another country that is not their own, you can expect them to contact you about a so-called emergency that strands them there. Only you can solve the problem, and it will involve thousands upon thousands of your dollars. Neither of these women are real, and it would appear that you know this by now. They are bunch of thieves -- maybe even the same bunch in each case -- hiding behind a profile and a photo that does not belong to any of them. These kinds of scammers are professional criminals. This is all they do and how they make a very fine living. They know how to become invisible in cyberspace by giving entirely false contact information and by requiring their victims to send money by means that leave no trail. They also prey on folks from other countries, which makes finding them a problem for your authorities who have no jurisdiction outside of your own country.Unfortunately, the technology available to those of us who want to engage in scam on the web is more sophisticated than what law enforcement has to find them. This means that the overwhelming number of internet romance scammers get completely away with their crimes. You would have legal recourse against these people if you could find them. But that's a job for law enforcement and their hands are mostly tied. Report the scam to your law enforcement authorities and to Scamwatch.gov.au. While they have no jurisdiction outside of Australia, they can at least alert Interpol and, through them, other foreign law enforcement agencies. If one claims to be a US citizen, you can alert the FBI. They have a special website for computer crime called the Internet Crime Complaint Center that they ask you to use for such scams. Scam is an international problem in epidemic proportions. To get priority you could enlist the service of an international private investigator and see if there's anything he can accomplish for you. From there, most of what you can do are steps which will warn others. Sometimes, though, by workiing to expose your scammers you will touch base with others victimized by the same person. You can then exchange information and convey any new details to the authorities. So, the other steps are: Contact the site where you met these people and inform them that the women are scammers. Ask them to take down her profile. The scammer may only come up with a new name and photo, but it will still slow her up.Run the photos she gave you through Google Search By Image. If that turns up a lot of scam warnings about her, post on those sites and add your voice to the rest of the people so that future victims will know that she is still active and what she's up to.Post your story on your own Facebook account and on other social networking sites that you may belong to. If she's on Facebook, warn her Facebook friends. If you'd rather be anonymous and not tell your story on Facebook, post her photo and disclose this fraud on sites like Romancescam.com, Scamwarners.com, Scamdex.com, pigbusters.net and any others in that vein that you can find. Yahoo has a group for romance scam victims that gets pretty wide exposure. You have to join it but once you do, you can post there as well. I'm sure that you were hoping for something that could give you better closure. I'm sorry not to have better news for you but this is the harsh reality of internet fraud. I ask you to kindly refrain from shooting the messenger.