Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

A HACKER,REPRESENTING HIM SELF TO BE FROM MICROSOFT, CUSTOMER

Customer Question

A HACKER,REPRESENTING HIM SELF TO BE FROM MICROSOFT, CUSTOMER SREVICE -WANTED TO CHARGE ME 150.00 TO DO AWAY WITH A VIRUS,WHICH FROZE MY PC.HE WANTED MY CREDIT CARD INFO. I SMELLED A RAT AND TOLD HIM I WOULD GET BACK TO HIM. I REPORTED THIS TO MICROSOFT, BUT NO FOLLOW UP WAS MADE. YESTERDAY I GOT A PHONE CALL FROM THE SAME HACKER DEMANDING A PAYMENT. HE USED THE PHONE #239(###) ###-#### ***** I DEMANDED HIS NAME HE HUNG UP.I DON'T KNOW HOW HE GOT MY CELL #,BUT HE DID. PLEASE CALL ME AND LET ME KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON?CELL#909(###) ###-#### ***** CHRISTENSON
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, We put a lot of information on the internet just by being alive. We give out our names, addresses and phone numbers freely. We use these to validate purchases on and off of the web and to do other things as well. Scammers buy up lists and they get data on people, and so they can appear to know who you are. Or they make calls at random, and give their, "Hi there, We're from Microsoft and your computer has a virus" pitch to whoever answers the phone. This is a very, VERY common scam, and we get asked about it several times here every day. Block his phone number. Send no money to this or any other tech person who makes unsolicited calls to you and tries to tell you that Microsoft thinks you have a virus. The fact is that Microsoft has no clue about what your machine has inside it and their website warns that they do not make or authorize such calls. Block the number so they can't get back to you. Report it to the FBI online at their Internet Crime Complaint Center which is at IC3.gov. Also report it to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov and to your State Attorney General's office. If your computer screen is frozen, take it in to a local and verified tech support center or post a question to our verified computer techs here on JustAnswer and they will walk you through a debugging.