Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

Have been talking online with a soldier said to be in Kabul,

Customer Question

have been talking online with a soldier said to be in Kabul, now South Africa. His language is sloppy English, and the pictures are of someone thought to be a legit soldier. He thinks we are to be married, but he has asked me to borrow him money to redeem equipment from customs. I had ended the communications , but I perceive it was a scam.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a former asst prosecutor, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Does this person claim to be a US soldier stationed in South Africa? What do they do in South Africa? What sort of equipment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On a special assignment due to having done good job in Kabul. Some type of steel beams.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

This is definitely a scam if he claims to be stationed in South Africa because, other than US Embassy marines, the US has no troops stationed in South Africa.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Also, if he were stationed in S Africa, his equipment would go through military channels. It would not be held up in customs and certainly not be his expense to get released.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He says it is a special job awarded to him due to good job in Kabul. He is to come to the states after the assignment being done.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

It is a lie. He is not a US soldier.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The US has no soldiers on special assignment or regular assignment in S Africa.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If he were in the military he would be prohibited from being on chat lines or revealing his location for security reasons. An active duty soldier also may not reveal their full name to someone they have not met. If you did meet online, all you would ever know would be his first name, never his full name, rank and location. Real soldiers know this - scammers do not.

The Army and others have issued many warnings about fake soldiers on dating and social networking sites:

http://www.cid.army.mil/romance_scam.html

http://www.fakewarriors.org/phonies/phonies1309.htm

http://marriedtothearmy.com/are-you-dating-an-army-soldier-or-a-fake/

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you still online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.