Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

Is SILVERTON FINANCIAL INCORPORATED ***** Los Angeles

Customer Question

Is SILVERTON FINANCIAL INCORPORATED ***** Los Angeles CA 90018
a scam company?? They gave me a claim number, and included a check to deposit in
my bank account after I call a number and talk to a person who would validate the
check. Thereafter a courier would come to deliver a check for $250,000.00, of which
I would pay the processing fee with the first check in the amount of $3,950.00.I never
heard of this company, and I don't know how they got my name. Is this a scam?????
Looking to hear from you. I still have their letter and check.
***@******.*** or phone(###) ###-####
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Unfortunately, yes, this is a common scam. It's called "advance fee fraud," and it's very common. That check they sent you is fraudulent. What happens is, they ask you to deposit it, withdraw cash, and send them the money. Then, the money they're promising you never arrives, and the check you deposited gets returned unpaid from the bank it was drawn on. If you don't happen to have an extra $4,000 in your account (and most people don't), then you'll wind up overdrawn. Your legitimate items like rent, mortgage, or car payment, could get returned. You could wind up paying significant overdraft fees from the bank (which just makes you more overdrawn), and there may be additional fees from your creditors. Here is more information on fake check scams:http://www.bbb.org/central-western-massachusetts/business-reviews/secret-shopper/industry-tips/fake-check-scams Also, there is no business by that name registered to do business in the state of California. And I can't find that address on a map, but it appears to be in a residential area. DO NOT CASH THAT CHECK. They're not just stealing your money. They can really mess up your finances. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.