Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

How do you notify winners. I have had some man trying to convince

Customer Question

How do you notify winners. I have had some man trying to convince me I have won
over 2 million and some prize. How can I check to see if he is legitmate. He says I have to pay him over 3 thousand dollars before he will give me whatever I have won.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. The simplest way to tell if you are dealing with a scam is to look at whether you are being asked to pay anything to claim your money. Real winners never have to pay a dime to collect prize money--EVER! It is an infallible rule. No matter how convincing the reason sounds, it is never necessary to pay someone to give you prize money. When you win a prize, that money legally belongs to you the minute you win. Any money for taxes, attorney fees, courier fees, bank transfer fees, or anything else is simply deducted from what you have already won. If you are being asked to send $3,000 you are dealing with a scam. There is no question or doubt of this fact. The appropriate course of action is to immediately cut off ALL communication and report this matter to your local FBI field office. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" loan solicitations, "sweepstakes" winnings, and similar windfall type offers. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next. I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.