Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

I received a voice mail yesterday from some one named Tiffany

Customer Question

I received a voice mail yesterday from some one named Tiffany Santana stating that I will be taken to court for fraud if I don't call back by 5 pm to settle this debt. She gave a number to call with an extension number and a case number. Caller ID said unknown. When I called the number left on my voice mail a machine answered. The message on the machine did not identify the company, it just asked me to leave a message after the beep. I called twice in the after noon and got the same machine message and no return call. The number on my voice mail was(###) ###-#### ***** am suspicious because a machine answered both times I called and the machine didn't identify the company. Is this a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Yes, it's a scam. If you really owed a debt, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act requires that they leave their name and number on the machine, along with the name of the company they're working for. It's illegal to fail to give a meaningful disclosure of the caller's identity and just the name tells you nothing. It also a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Act to threaten someone with fraud charges for non-payment of a debt. Scam artists do this to scare you and because they're not located in the US, so they don't care about US law. If this were a real debt collector, leaving that message could cost them up to $1,000 for violating federal law (actually up to $2,000, because there are two violations just in that one sentence), plus your attorney's fees. There is no reason to call back.