Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Is VIP Sun Tours a legit company?

Customer Question

Is VIP Sun Tours a legit company?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me more information about the company? What is its website? Where is it located? How did you find them? What are they offering you, and is it too good to be true?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's supposed to be one of those resort deals. They offer you cheap travel as long as u promise to spend an hour and a half viewing their resorts, etc. i dont have their website, they called me at home. Supposed to be located somewhere in Florida. Here's a couple of phone numbers they gave me(###) ###-####and(###) ###-####eastern standard time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They offered me 3 nights in Orlando, 2 night Bahamas cruise, 3 nights in Daytona beach. AND 2 nights in Vegas. I believe they represent "Westlake Resorts"
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

Anything that looks too good to be true is just that. Vipsuntours.com is a site that was only launched on April 7, 2015. It's only 6 months old and the site is set to expire in another 6 months. So it's a new company, virtually a blank slate that hasn't set itself up to stick around for the long haul. These are all red flags. You can see this for yourself by going to www.domaintools.com and running the website's WHOIS

Here's the information about the site owner as taken from the site's WHOIS:

Admin Name: Kristy Galeota
Admin Organization: The Lice Wizards
Admin Street: 9480 Poinciana Place
Admin City: Davie
Admin State/Province: Florida
Admin Postal Code: 33324
Admin Country: United States
Admin Phone: +1.7869703778

VIP Sun Tours has registered with the Florida Secretary of State as of that same April 7, 2015 date, but while that's a good sign, it's too early to see whether it will go on to file its annual documents and taxes as required, or that, like its website, it will simply let it go inactive, its purpose -- to look legitimate -- having been accomplished. The site owner's address information which she gave the state does not match what she gave as her site registration information, and the website itself has no contact information at all. The phone numbers trace to Florida but not to any business or account holder. They are likely VOIP numbers. That is, the calls are coming over a computer which can be anywhere in the world.

VIP Sun Tours does not appear to have any sort of state license to sell travel services or a telemarketer's to make calls to solicit for them.

These promotional tours, assuming -- and I don't -- that this company is at all legitimate are at best high pressure sales programs, the purpose of which is to get you to buy a time share.

While I cannot say that they are a scam, I can say that their are several supicious signs, and no evidence that they are actually doing business.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you saying you're not sure its a legit company? If I'm understanding your response correctly, it could be legit but because it sounds too good to be true, then it prob is plus the fact that they only registered a few mos ago so you/we aren't sure?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay. I turned off my computer for the night before your answer came through.

No, that's not quite what I intended to say. I said the company was brand new and it hasn't left any kind of trail on the web. It's a blank slate. So I can't find enough information on them to confirm whether it's legitimate or not. I did say, however, that there were several things about what I did see that were red flags, and not just the fact that the deal sounds too good to be true.

Here they are:

-- The company is only 6 months old.

-- The company website is going to expire in only 6 more months.

-- The address of the organization on the site's WHOIS does not match the address filed with the government.

-- No address is listed on their website at all.

-- The phone numbers you provided do not trace to company accounts and are not landlines.

-- The company does not appear to be licensed to provide travel services, according to Florida's state licensing portal.

-- The company is making unsolicited phone calls without a telemarketer's license.

-- There is no evidence that they are actually doing business.

In my opinion, the evidence against them, all considered, would be more than reason enough to avoid them. But can I say with 100% certainty that they are not an actual company? No, I cannot. If you're still tempted to accept their package, you should first try calling the Florida State Attorney General's office to see if they know of this company and if they have a complaint history. The Better Business Bureau is unaware of them at this time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think if i called the number(?) they would answer? What if they do? What should i ask? The problem is, i had already given them my credit card number and it has already been charged
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

If they are legitimate, they should answer their phones. If you can't reach them, that's highly suspect. You can call your credit card carrier and tell them you want to institute a chargeback

As to what you ask the company, the time to vet them is before you give them your credit card information and not after you've done it. There's no point in asking them if they are scammers, because they will say no whether they are or not. But you can ask them if they are a licensed seller of travel in their state and what their license number is. You can ask them whether they do represent Westlake Resorts, or who they do represent. Then you can look up those companies later -- get the actual companies' numbers from their website and not from Sun Travel -- and verify that they actually have a business relationship with Sun.

Do you have a contract with them? If you're looking to cancel the deal, look at what you agreed to and see how you can get out of the deal. If it's to late for you to comply with their cancellation process, call them and tell them you're no longer interested and that you want a refund. See what they might be willing to negotiate. If you want the package, you can ask them when you'll get your details about the trip.