Loren, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

Just received a call stating I had won 7million dollars from

Customer Question

just received a call stating I had won 7million dollars from publihers clearing house and I should send 99.00 dollars to an address in jamica w.i. not convinced this is legit
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
As you know, something which is too good to be true is, generally, not. Also, I am sure you suspect this is one of those times. Unfortunately, I am absolutely sure that there is no prize waiting for you from these people.This is positively a scam. It is known as an "Advance Fee Scam".Just remember:1. You can not win a sweepstakes or lottery you did not enter.2. No legitimate sweepstakes asks winners to pay upfront to release the winnings.3. If they were genuinely holding money belonging to you should be able to tell them to just deduct the taxes, insurance, courier fee (all red flags, by the way) and send you a net check. 4. If they were holding $7 million they could just deduct the $99 and send you the net amt. Do not send any money or otherwise respond. They are trying to steal from you. Here is an online warning from the FTC:http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/youarehere/pages/pdf/FTC-Fraud-Scams-The-Winner-Is.pdf
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
I realize this is probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. Also, please remember that this is not necessarily a moral judgement on my part. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's legal position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I only ask that you not penalize me with a bad or poor rating for having to deliver less than favorable news.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Are you online with me?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service to you.