Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Gotten very involved with a man who found me on facebook now

Customer Question

Gotten very involved with a man who found me on facebook now he got a big contract in africa and customs holding his materials that he shipped over and asking for an extra 12,000.00 that he wants me to help him with says he can not get money from his bank from there and his credit cards are not working
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm sorry to have to tell you that you're involved with a romance scammer. The name if this fraud is called "the stranded traveler" advance fee fraud. First he sweeps you off of your feet with promises of the relationship you always dreamed of. He usually claims to be from your own country but ends up in Africa for work purposes before he can ever meet you. There he has the first of a series of emergencies and to solve them he needs your money. Then more of your money. Then more. Meanwhile he doesn't get one step closer to the plane out of Africa.You need to stop talking to him, because he's not real and all he will ever do is manipulate you into sending more or more money. You are never going to meet him. Credit cards work everywhere in the world. For that matter if there is a problem, you can contact your credit card company and they will rectify it and/or overnight express you a new one. Bank ATMs work everywhere in the world too. If you have done any international travel ever, you would already know that.You need to cease all contact with him report him to the FBI at IC3.gov and to your police. Send him no money because you will never get it back.If you don't believe me but have photos or document he has sent you, upload them with your reply. Sometimes they are useful to confirm a scam.