Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I believe I am the victim of dating fraud. How should I p

Customer Question

I believe I am the victim of dating fraud. How should I proceed
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, If all you want is to prevent him from contacting you again, with the typical scammer, once they understand that you're aware he's a fraud and that you're not going to send any more money, they simply disappear. They never have anything other than economic interest in their victims in the first place. So yes, you can block his contact from or change your email, phone number, Skype and social networking accounts, but you could also simply cease all contact -- delete his emails, don't take his phone calls -- and he'll likely still leave on his own accord, so long as you don't respond to anything. You also may have to be concerned about potential identity theft, depending upon what information you might have shared with him. If he has, for example, your bank account information, credit card numbers, computer passwords or any sensitive personal identity information that could potentially allow him to hack into your online accounts or open up credit accounts or take out loans in your name, you will want to make all necessary changes and monitory your statements carefully for unauthorized transactions. He can't do this with just your name, address, email address and phone number. You also want to report the scammer to the authorities. If you're in Australia, that means reporting him to your police and to Scamwatch.gov.au. Depending upon where he claimed to be from, you may want to report him elsewhere too. You can also take steps to warn others. It's a good way to network with other scam victims and to get some closure: Contact the site where you found this person and inform them of the scam. Ask them to take down his or her profile.Post your story on your own Facebook account and on other social networking sites that you may belong to. If he or she's on Facebook, warn his Facebook friends. If you'd rather be anonymous and not tell your story on Facebook, post the photos and disclose the fraud on sites like Romancescam.com, Scamwarners.com, Scamdex.com, pigbusters.net and any others in that vein that you can find.Yahoo has a group for romance scam victims that gets pretty wide exposure. You have to join it but once you do, you can post there as well.Sometimes on sites such as the above you can find yourself meeting and exchanging details with others who were scammed by the same person, which will give you more information to give to the authorities to help them find and stophim.Finally, there are also people who like keeping the game going even after they realize that they have been scammed, to see just how far they can make a scammer go and what ridiculous things they can make a scammer do when they think they are going to get money. The site that comes quickly to my mind is the Ebola Monkey Man Site.http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/He stays within the confines of the law but makes the scammers look silly.Here is 419Eaters, which is along the same lines and will give you other ways of turning the tables on your scammer.http://www.419eater.com/I don't recommend baiting a scammer just for its own sake. Ceasing all contact is probably healthier. Getting even is unlikely to catch him. But again you are publicizing who, what and where you believe the scammer is as well as all you know about him and making him look ridiculous into the bargain. And that gives some people a type of closure. Sometimes, revenge can be awfully sweet. Someho