Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I got scammed byurgenteckhelp.com I canceled credit card

Customer Question

I got scammed byurgenteckhelp.com I canceled credit card changed pw to get in my computer is there any thing else I can do
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Did you give this company remote access to your computer or did they install software which they said would take care of bugs? If so, changing your credit card and your computer pass word and reporting the crime won't be enough. You have to take additional precautions against identity theft.

They likely installed malware in your computer which can log your keystrokes, get them access to all of your accounts, even with your new computer password, rob you blind and use your personal information to open up credit cards and take out loans in your name.

So if you haven't done this already, take your computer to a local tech you can deal with in person and have him debug your computer. Once that's done, you can change all your passwords and PIN numbers. From there, monitor all of your accounts carefully for unauthorized charges or withdrawals, but that should be the end of it. If you are somewhat technically savvy, you can post a question in our Computer category, where a one of JustAnswer's verified computer techs can walk you through a debugging. But apart from them, don't give remote access to any so-called computer tech firm unless you have thoroughly checked out their credentials before doing business with them. Afterwards can be much too late.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much will I be liable formoney wise?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

Can you explain your follow-up question? Are you asking about money that was spent or money that might be taken?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mi9ght be taken
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.

If your bank or credit card carrier determines that you did not authorize the withdrawal of your money, then as long as you report it to the police and your bank/credit card company immediately, you would have little to no liability.