Megan C, CFE
Experience:  CPA with CFE certification and a Master of Accountancy from Ole Miss
23669918

I received a Robo call from a David Grey : , this message

Customer Question

I received a Robo call from a David Grey : Hi, this message is intended to contact you regarding an important action executed by the USTreasury. Ignoring this will be an intentional 2nd attempt to avoid an issue of appearance before a magestrate judge or a grand jury for a federal criminal offence. My number is(###) ###-#### ***** advise you to call Greg Phillips and help us to help you. The message is repeated 3 times.
I did not call back, do you think this is a scam? I have never received anything in the mail about any appearance and do not know of any reason why I would.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. YES!! This is a scam. The US Treasury would not contact you (the IRS would) and the communication is always WRITTEN at first and sent certified mail. Report this to www.ic3.org -- and do not give any information over the phone. Your first communication with the IRS (or US Treasury) will not come via phone, rather mail. After then YOU call THEM to first initiate phone contact. These scams are elaborate and they even sometimes manipulate caller IDs to read like they are the government. However, you can politely hang up the phone and call 1-***-***-**** and ask if there are any issues. Furthermore, if you were charged with a crime you would need to be arrested or at least summonsed to court which requires personal service. This is a scam.Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.