Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I met someone on POF, which is a dating site. He is supposedly

Customer Question

I met someone on POF, which is a dating site. He is supposedly in the US Army and deployed to Kubal, Afghanistan. He has provided me with the correct Camp info. He's given me his APO address. We agreed to remove our profiles.We've kept in contact through Kik. He has stated that since he's in a Red Zone, that can't communicate through calls or video chat. We've exchanged pictures. I've offered to send packages, he has declined and said that he's taken care of. He did ask for an iTunes card in order to download movies. He didn't request any money amount. Things seemed very good between us. He writes me poems, which he sends to my email many days. He ended up telling me that he wanted to put me as his NOK. I ended up providing him with all my personal info, including my SSN. We began talking about him coming home to meet me. He claims that his personal home is here in Utah. He said that he could use his R&R leave. I was told that leave could be from 15 days up to 5 weeks and anything longer wouldn't be granted. He states that he spoke to Admin and that they would cover his flight home, but that he needed to renew his exit permit. He said that he does not have access to his personal funds. He knows that I've began to question things. He isn't demanding the money. He's aware that I'm investigating the situation. He said that any money would have to be sent to a military agent. His messages have been consistent as well as the times he states it is. I'm not sure what to believe, but before I pursue anything further I need answers. Please help!!
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, He's going to be a scammer. He doesn't need you to pay for an exit permit; a real US soldier can always access f his money, and the only mail he can get in Afghanistan would have to be sent to his APO box which would be forwarded on to him. If all he needed was a military agent to get funds, he could get his own. You can't be his next of kin, because you're not. If he were real, he'd be committing fraud and by going along with it, you are too. Fortunately, though, he's a scammer, giving you the same tired formulas that we hear on this site from other customers with similar questions dozens of times every day. He hasn't asked you for money yet, but you've given him a gift, so he knows you believe in him, and he's setting you up carefully for the money request. I know you probably don't want to believe me. if you want a couple foolproof ways to check and see if you've got yourself a military scammer try these: 1) Ask your scammer for his official military email address. This is not classified information. A real US soldier may have a classified email address as well, but he also has a regular military email address with which he writes to his friends and family. Every soldier does because it is the only one he is supposed to use. When he gives his email address to you, it should end in .mil It will NOT end in .com In other words, it should look like john.doe @us.army.mil If the email address doesn't end in .mil on the right side of the @ sign, he is a fake. Only US servicemen can get a .mil email address, and if he cannot produce one that you can email him back and forth with, he is scamming you. Period. There is no exception to this. 2) Get his name, social security number and date of birth and enter it on the US Military's website. This too, is not classified information and, in fact, would be information he would have to disclose if he were ever captured. Besides, you gave him yours. The site I have linked you to should tell you if he is a soldier. If he won't tell you, then you know he is a scammer. He has no reason to refuse to give it to you. If he does but the site doesn't recognize him or contradicts what he's told you, that tells you he's a scammer too. The above are foolproof. If he can't or won't give you what you ask for then he's a fake, no matter what else he tries to say or show you or how many of his buddies he gets to write or call you to verify his lies or ask your for money. This last trick doesn't always work, but when it does it's really dramatic: 4) Upload his photo to Google's Search by Image and see if the same photo is being used all over the web on a bunch of different names and profiles. If you can't figure out how to use Search by Image you can upload his pictures here with your response and I will assist you. As for the rest of it, here is more general information to help you recognize the signs of any military scammer: US soldiers have access to their own money from anywhere in the world. They earn their leave the way you earn vacation time. Their leave and anything associated with that leave belongs to them. They do not need permission or assistance of any sort from a civilian in order to get the benefits of that leave. Soldiers in a war zone cannot internet date. - Soldiers in a war zone CANNOT REVEAL THEIR ACTUAL LOCATION. -- Soldiers in a war zone ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE MOBILE PHONES. -- They must use their official military email addresses for all computer communication, and they only get a half hour on line per week for all of their correspondence. All of the above restrictions are required for national security reasons and they get enforced. Here is a warning from the US Army itself about such scams, and if you are still not sure whether to believe me, hopefully you will believe them and sever all contact now. If you believe having read all this that he is a scammer, cease all contact with him. Send no gifts or money. Report him to your local police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. Additionally, since you have given him everything he needs to commit identity theft, to take out loans and credit cards in your name and stick you with the bill, you need to take every possible precaution against identity theft.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelvin Aaron Speck
DOB 10/27/1970
Email:***@******.***
Kik: kspeck3634Kelvin Speck
82nd Infantry Div. Camp
Phoenix, APO AE 09320Location: Kubal, Afghanistan
US Army, Bomb Specialist
Camp Phoenix
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What can I do about Identity Theft?
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have run your data through the Servicemember's Civil Relief Act's website, an official military site that allows you to make a Single Record Request. They have no such serviceman in the US military as a Kelvin Aaron Speck. You can verify this for yourself by going to the link I gave you. But I am attaching the results below. You will have to make an exception to get to the website because it's certification is a much higher level than what's standard on other websites, and your computer will give you a warning. But the .mil extension on the website, tells you it's a legitimate military website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I uploaded several photos
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
As far as identity theft is concerned, I take it you are in the US, since you have a social security number. Do the following: Put a fraud alert on your credit history. You do that by notifying any one of the three credit reporting services, Equifax, Experian or TransUnion (any one of them will automatically notify the other two) and asking for one. A fraud alert is free for 90 days, and it means that if, during that time, anyone attempts to open up a card or take out a loan in your name, you will get a phone call before any such loan or credit line gets authorized. After 90 days, you can continue the service for a fee.A fraud alert will not affect your credit negatively. It is only to protect you, and it won't change the way you can use your credit card or bank accounts. It just alerts new lenders not to approve new lines of credit without contacting you first. I'm linking you to Experian, because I have the link handy. Again, they all perform the same service and any one will notify the other two. You'll get a copy of your credit report from each of the 3 reporting agencies when you apply for the fraud alert.From there, everyone is entitled to get a free copy of their credit report online, compliments of the Federal Trade Commission. I have linked you to their official government website that discusses this. You'll find their link on the site to AnnualCreditReport.com, which is a government approved, free source for your credit histories. You could get that free report time you like. You won't have to order this now, because you'll get one with the fraud alert. But you are going to want to monitor your credit report every now and again, just to be sure than nothing unauthorized has occurrred. You'll also need to be vigiliant about looking at your bank and credit card statements and quickly reporting any unauthorized charges, so that you won't have to pay them if you report them Finally, contact the Social Security Administration and report the fact that your number is ***** Typically they tell you not to get a new number. But they also want you to notify the IRA, so nobody uses it to get your tax refunds, apply for worker's comp or collect your Social Security benefits.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
The photos were not downloaded from the web, They more likely were sent by someone else they were scamming on plenty of fish or some other dating site. Scammers pretend to be both men and women and juggle multiple victims, and yes, that does mean one day they can use your photos too. His email address traces to his photo on Picasa, but there is no profile or any other information on that account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you get all the photos I uoloaded. I also sent all the info that he provided. So since believe this is a scam, is there away to track down the person in the photos to let them know.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
I got the photos and made mention of them. So you want to go back and reread my last post as they may have overlapped. Sometimes we can find out whose photos are used but only if they are downloaded from the real person's website. You can post those pictures on sites like romancescam.com and pigbusters.net along with the information the scammer gave you about himself. Maybe someone will recognize the photos and tell the actual owner of the pictures.