Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Question is on fraud-how long does it take a private

Customer Question

question is on fraud-how long does it take a private investigator to find out if a person has fake teaching credentials?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Background- I hired a p.i. back in July- he stated- what I felt in my gut- was probably true about the person in question- he supposedly came up with a lot of criminal background information on this person- none of which I have seen-saying he was a convicted felon- bank robbery twice- but nevertheless he is still an educator-or claims to be an educator- since as of this day- the investigator has claimed he has gone to the top of the department of education trying to determine if this persons certification is good-well he showed me a letter he wrote to the higher powers and they still have not gotten back with him- isn't this to long? I wanted him to change tactics-check out this persons's connection to a supposedly child molester who is a registered sex offender and who worked t the university that this person supposedly attended-and had was in charge of a state/federal funded program called alternative route to licensure-however this guy got fired I'm guessing because it was a big write up in a Colorado newspaper, upon where a school district found out about him being a register sex offender. The university he worked for was not aware of this when he was hired. Anyway, the person of interst and this other person, have been on the same non profit boards of organizations in their home town together. So they have a connection that way, and the other connection is that I think the person of interest paid the other person a sum of money to lie for him or even take course work for him, to get the fake degrees. ALso, there was a u.s. Fidelis scandal back in 2005/6 and there was a guy there who has the exact name as my person of interest. I just need a picture or photo to prove he worked for that company -if it is he-then he was supposed to have gotten indicated along with 5 other guys for illegal activity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So I need a thorough background check on this guy I suppose?I do have his ss-the one in which my p.i. gave to me- bot***** *****ne trying to expose him, before he tries to have his name put on our property, among other assets we have.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, One can verify a teaching license online depending upon the state or by contacting the state licensing bard where the teacher is licensed. That should be quick and easy. What's difficult is whether the person claiming to have the credentials is the same person as the actual license holder or whether some unscrupulous person has "borrowed" the name and assumed a false identity. There's no way to know for sure how much time it would take, first to find out if that is the real person and secondly to find out who the person really is, if he is someone other than the identity he's assumed. If you feel your private investigator is not doing an adequate job however, you may well be right. Consider consulting with another PI to get another take on the situation and find out if he's padding your bills and not doing what he should be.