Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Someone who knows my name and where I live call me about

Customer Question

Someone who knows my name and where I live call me about delivering a check to me this friday and would like for me to be here to receive it. They also claim that by law the must collect 1% of the winnings to insure delivery. This sound like a scam. What
should I do about this.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, You are correct. This is going to be a scam. One reason I know is that you bothered to post this on our site. If you'd really won a contest you would know it. That's because you always have to enter a contest in order to win it. So if you won a lottery, you'd have a lottery ticket with the numbers you picked out on it. And if you won a sweepstakes you'd have your half of the entry form with your ticket number on it. You don't. Scammers would like you to believe that a contest win can just drop out of the sky based on your email address or your mobile phone number. That's a lie, however. Unless you have proof that you entered the contest -- your ticket or half of the entry form -- you can't win anything. Also, when you are a winner, the money is already yours. You wouldn't have to pay for it out of pocket, because it belongs to you. The contest would take any transfer fees from the money belonging to you that they already had. They wouldn't need more up front from you. The money request, no matter what the reason, is the #1 sign of a contest scam. Report the fraud to your police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. Cease all communications with the scammers and hang onto your money.