How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Ely Your Own Question

Ely, Consultant
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 100033
Experience:  Attorney in law with focus on consumer protection
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend was told to send money to Jamica to pay taxes

Customer Question

My boyfriend was told to send money to Jamica to pay taxes on a real estate deal. The real estate deal was real, but his "friend" that did the whole deal called and told him to expect a call from a lawyer and gave him the name. Apparently, this is a whole big fraud and I want to know who all I can report to and get help to get his portion of the proceeds from the sale to him, the real estate friend that did the whole deal located, and the person acting like a lawyer that got him to send money to Jamica. I didn't find out until later and then he had done it twice! I told him - no more money to Clint White (supposed lawyer) that friend (David Siebert) told him because you don't send money to Jamaica to pay a US IRS debt for property sold in California. Need help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) please wait to rate until I ask you to do so. It may take a few replies for me to be able to render an complete answer. I will let you know when I do.I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please tell me if you or he personally know any of the scammers involved (by personally, I mean you or he have met them, know them, etc), or was this all via the internet and he never met anyone in person?This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He knows the David Siebert, real estate person that now is not answering the phone or text, etc.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What state do D.S. and your boyfriend live in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
D.S. is supposedly CA but now who knows as he could've taken the money and gone somewhere else since he won't answer the phone. Called the accountant that was working the details and he has the same number the Keith -- PA- has. Can't get responses and then to have him turn this situation into a jamican scam is all overwhelming but needs to be handled.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. What someone in your situation wants to do is file two complaints, one on a state and one on a federal level.The first one is with the state, which is CA, since this is where a party involved in the scam (so you say) lives. One can file a police report in the county where the individual lives. This simply means calling the police on their non-emergency number. Second, one files a complaint with IC3. See HERE. This is the internet crime complaint center, and it filters the complaints to anyone scammed online (this seems like it may have been partly online). This will likely be forwarded to the FBI.Good luck in your matter.(PS if this was NOT something mostly done online, reply and let me know, as I may have a different answer.)I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know county he lives in. How do you find out if a real estate deal was completed?
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
If you are not sure in general, I would go with the IC3 as the main complaint step (this sounds more and more like an internet-based scam).If the real estate is for property in Jamaica, there is no immediate way. Unlike US which has most counties keep real estate records of recordings, etc, for real estate deals, Jamaica does not. You will have to contact an attorney in Jamaica to verify any property ownership/transaction.Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.Gentle Reminder: Please, use REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or RATE POSITIVELY and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.

Related Fraud Examiner Questions