Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Received a e-mail from publishers clearing house saying I was

Customer Question

received a e-mail from publishers clearing house saying I was a winner of 1 million dollars and to call this number ***-***-****28 which has to many numbers to begin with it also said to e-mail them @***@******.*** with my full name, full delivery address, my age, my occupation,phone #, my country, and my parcel ID number : pchs-10735328589. Is this a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am going to be assisting you with this question. Publisher's Clearinghouse's email address would not be a generic Outlook account. Their email matches their website. That is, it would end in pch.com. PCH doesn't notify its winners by email. This is just a scammer phishing for your personal identification information for future identity theft. And if you reach them, they will tell you that you need to wire them money to collect your winnings. The money request, no matter how logical the reason for it may seem to you, is the #1 sign of a contest scam. Real winners don't have to pay a cent to collect what's already theirs. Many scammers use the name of Publisher's Clearinghouse, because they advertise so widely and most of us have at one time or another entered one of their contests. PCH knows that scammers use their name and they warn about this right on their website. You can read the PCH warnings here for yourself:http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/tips-a-warning-signsOn that warning page I just linked you to, PCH provides a number that you can call if you have a question about whether or not you have really won one of their contests. You will see it as Tip #8.Send no money. You didn't win one of Publisher's Clearinghouse's contests. Report the scam to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov