Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was scam on craiglist they said they was looking home

Customer Question

I was scam on craiglist they said they was looking for a home for sugar gliders and I contract. The number first they said to send 130 western union I did have that then they told me I had to send 850 for ins. And shots and its was 100% refundable have the hole thing number and email and the ladies name that I was suppose to have them sent by then they told me to 200 dollar for feed and I do then they tellm me to go get it from western union and send to a another place then they said gliders and 850 would hear at 8 pm on the 5 of sept. Still nothing the place that was supported to delivery to door is Fly Pets
Cargo's & Home Delivery Air Course Department Inc F P C H D S Ime I still have nothing I have all email and number they called from called back and nothing
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with this question. Unfortunately, you have fallen for a pet scam. They are very popular on Craigslist and elsewhere. Here's how the fraud works: Typically, you answer an ad on CraigsList or some other pet finder site. The ad promises that the pet is of high quality and well and will come with all of its shots and papers. If there is a photo of the animal that you can see on the listing, it is of very high quality.The animals are either advertised as being free to a good home or they are way, way below the standard price for a pet of that breed and caliber. The "sellers" come up with some plausible reason that they are going to practically give the animial away for a nominal fee and all you have to pay for is the transport. You are required to pay the money up front usually via Western Union, MoneyGram or some other means that gives the "seller" instant cash and gives you no buyer protection.You should NEVER send money like that to anyone except close personal friends you know on real time or family members. Otherwise, it's like throwing your money away. There is NO buyer protection when you send money this way, which is why it is the #1 sign of a scam. And it makes the money that you sent completely untraceable.Once you pay the money, the "sellers" will ask you for more. Typically, the animal turns out not to have quite all of his shots and so gets turned away from the plane. Or the crate that the animal is to be shipped in does not conform to code. Or they will ask you to absorb the cost of insurance which was never mentioned before. That will cost you more money, and then there will be even more. I know this sounds familiar to you, because this is exactly what has happened to you.Finally, if they still want more money, you will be told that the animal has somehow ended up in the wrong state, where somebody is boarding and feeding it until you can arrange for delivery. You will be told that it will cost you money for the maintenance of that pet for every day until it gets to you -- and of course it never does. The lies can vary but they are endless as you are seeing for yourself.This mostly free animal can cost you a staggering amount of money when all is said and done and there is no sugar glider and never was. You are dealing with con artists at a computer somewhere looking to manipulate an animal lover into paying literally thousands of dollars for what was a too-good to be true deal you will never see because the sugar glider in the ad simply doesn't exist. The names of these pet transport companies change all of the time, but they are no more real than is your seller and the sugar glider. Unfortunately, people who run this scam are generally from West Africa and anyone with phony identification and the MCTN number from your moneyGram transaction can claim your payment anywhere in the world. If you can find your seller, you can sue her or seek to have her prosecuted for her fraud, but as you can see, none of the information you have will check out, and finding her will be a job for law enforcement.You need to alert the site where you found the ad that it was posted by a scammer and ask them to take the ad down if it is still there. Then report the fraud to your police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal trade Commission at FTC. gov. The only way you'll be able to get your money back is if the authorities can find the seller -- it is a very long longshot -- and bring him to justice.I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and I'd ask you to kindly refrain from shooting the messenger. If you have a website or a snail mail address for Fly Pets Cargo's & Home Delivery Air Course Department, Inc., I can give you more information, but unfortunately, I'm quite certain they are not a legitimate pet transport service.