Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in consumer protection and fraud detection.
45002201

I recently contacted a spritual worker online. she asked

Customer Question

Hello, I recently contacted a spritual worker online. she asked for $300 but what threw me off was that she wanted me to deposit money into personal account. her website claims she has several offices. i asked if she had a paypal she said no not until later . So after I deposited the money she asked for $200 to pay for energy . I tried to cut off connection with her but i feared my safety because she had a photo and full name and dob of mine. I tried telling her my phone got hacked to scare her that didn't work. then after i paid her off i cut off contact with her. but i was still suspicious and didn't want her to do this to other people. I contacted her from a disposable phone number . twice . she picked up but my connection was off. Then I texted her saying someone looked at her website and said that since she didn't have a paypal on her site that they said you usually have money wired to you or deposited into a personal account. that is tax fraud. ..and after that I cut her off for good. my biggest concern is if i go to the authorities will I no longer be a victim because I told her she was commiting fraud through a disposBLE NUMBER? i feel scared and i feel horrible for sending that text at this point i want to apologize to her.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.You did not commit any sort of a crime by contacting her through a disposable number. You didn't defraud her in any way and you should have no concern about going to the police.
Also, anything you told her, even if not true, does not mean you are no longer a victim since you didn't steal any money from her.
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.