Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

I have been asked to send $1000 to Kimberly Stowe who after

Customer Question

I have been asked to send $1000 to Kimberly Stowe who after emailing back and forth for a month and told to day to send money by Western Union to this address: 6 Lavington, Nairobi, Kenya. This person; Kimberly just texted me again saying everything is ok and they will pick up money there and email was shorter then usual.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,<br /><br />My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY. This is an EXTREMELY common scam. Scam artists will frequently pretend to be an American living temporarily in Kenya for a variety of reasons. So many people make those claims, there would be more Americans than Kenyans in Nairobi if all were telling the truth. But Kenya really isn't a common tourist destination for Americans, and there's no reason anyone would need you to send them $1,000 cash once there. For one thing, it's extremely dangerous to carry around that much money. It would be foolish at best. But also, if she really needed assistance, the American Embassy in Nairobi would help her. There is no reason whatsoever for you to send cash. It is impossible to trace money once it's picked up at Western Union. That's one reason it's the preferred method of sending money for scam artists. The address you provided isn't a full address. Lavington is a suburb of Nairobi. When you put in that address, you get a bunch of houses on sites for rent or for sale, but I don't find any property with that exact address. Scam artists change names constantly (most use multiple identities at the same time), so it's very difficult to track someone with just a name. But everything you've said is consistent with a scam. She'll take your money and just keep asking for more until you have nothing left to send. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.