Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Consumer Clearing House - law firm Bankroft Meyer and Assoc.

Customer Question

Consumer Clearing House - law firm Bankroft Meyer and Assoc. called to inform me that I had won $500,000 in a sweepstakes. Told they had negotiated with the IRS to reduce my tax to $65,000. Check to arrive this Thursday by currier. Need to pay $2,000 to the US customs dept. as this is an international lottery winning. Gave me claim number and was instructed to call US Lottery & Gaming commission at(###) ###-####with claim number
M921M477C and they would verify validity of winnings. Unable to locate this law firm in Florence, South Carolina. Really too good to be true.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question. This is a complete scam. There is no "U.S. Lottery & Gaming Commission." It doesn't exist because lotteries are regulated on the state level, not the federal level. International lotteries are also completely against the law, and so customs would never have to get involved. The IRS does not "negotiate" tax bills." So, really, this situation is implausible in just about every imaginable way. What you are dealing with is a classic advance fee scam. Basically, these scammers inform people about lottery winnings and other financial windfalls and then request that the victims send advanced payments to collect their money. The victim sends their payments and then the scammers disappear. The lottery winnings never existed at all. So yes, unfortunately this situation is too good to be true. But by recognizing that and asking your question here, you have avoided a scam that could have potentially costed you thousands of dollars. In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" notices you may receive about lotteries, grants, or inheritances. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and report the matter to the local police and FBI field office. You can locate your local FBI field office here: http://www.fbi.gov/contact-usI hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Hello again, I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. Very best wishes.