Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was told i won a car and some money they say there in illonis

Customer Question

i was told i won a car and some money they say there in illonis and that home land security demands money forref leter and some other doctments and said i need to pay 4500 to them so they car bring my winnings the letter of intent is sight by carolina lecheiter
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
I am sorry, but you are the target of a contest scam. You have not won anything, and I hope you did not send them any money.
If if you’d actually won a real contest, you wouldn't need to ask a question here on our site. You'd have a lottery ticket with winning numbers on it if you entered a lottery, and you'd have your half of the sweepstakes entry with your numbers on it, if you'd ever entered a sweepstakes.
Scammers always want their victims to believe that they can win a contest they have never entered, but they are lying. You must always formally enter a contest to be able to win, and your ticket or your half of your original entry form is required verification when you go to claim your prize. There is no other acceptable confirmation of winnings.
They have also been lying about the fees. Once you win a real contest, THE MONEY IS ALREADY YOURS, and you don't have to pay anything at all for it. Since the contest already has YOUR money, if there were really any necessary expenses that the contest would have to pay the contest would take your from your winnings -- not from your pocket -- and gives you a check for the rest, free and clear with no strings attached. No matter what they claim these fees are for and how reasonable you think it is that these fees exist, an up front fee is the #1 sign of a scam.
Homeland Security has nothing whatsoever to do with contest winnings. There is no such thing as a legitimate international lottery or sweepstakes and so Homeland Security would never be involved. They are just giving you a reason to charge you money that you would never ever have to pay if this were real.
The fact is that any time you get an unsolicited out of the blue message with news that is much too good to be true, it is a scam, each and every time.
You can learn everything you need to know about fake contests here:
http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/lotteryscamnamesUV.php
Cease all contact with these scammers, send no money. Report the fraud to your police, to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.