Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

I'm a victim of online dating scam.was talking to a girl, claiming

Customer Question

I'm a victim of online dating scam.was talking to a girl, claiming she is a nurse for UNICEF, live in Malaysia for her work, her house in Riverside. Talked to her for 2 months, but somehow hide her idendity just because of her limitations using her cell phone. Finally asked for $300.00 for her friend living in Nigeria so I refused.when we started the relationships she asked me in case coming sooner to usa, there are some items that can help her coming from usa to to Malaysia. I accepted and took the responsibility. Anyway, there was this black man posing as her in Nigeria. I ended it, but the man threatened me those items send by me, were frajulent and under investigation. If authority find u , I will go to jail, as well as said using my name to borrow money, merchandise. and put me in debt. Called me 5 times from Nigeria, but ignored the phone. The only information he has my name, my address, nothing else. Can he really hurt me by his threat on me.Kind of scared. II'm a 58 tears old disabled man, divorced, live by myself.
My name is***** could you give me some kind of advice about the situation. Can the man capable of doing any harm.
Sincerely
Kamal
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kamal,

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
You are absolutely right that this is a scam, and I'm glad you didn't send the money. There is no reason for you to be worried here. The scam artists are in Nigeria, and they're not going to risk arrest by coming to the US to look for you. Tracking down victims to harm them personally GREATLY increases the chances that they'll be caught and go to jail, and that's not what they want. They just want to steal your money (these scam artists are convinced that all Americans are rich, because compared to them, most of us are. So even when you say you don't have money, they think you do.)
One thing to be aware of is, since they have your contact information, they will probably share it with other scam artists. You're going to get a lot of emails and calls from people asking you for money: maybe pretending you won the lottery, maybe pretending they're with the police or FBI and are investigating you or something. BE EXTREMELY WARY of any strangers that contact you. If anyone claims to be calling from law enforcement, take their name and badge number, hang up, and call the agency using a phone number you obtained from the phone book or their website.
It's good to always be vigilant. Call the police if you see anything suspicious. But they're just trying to scare you into giving them money. They'll move on to someone else when they realize it's not working.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am satisfied with your answer, except have more concern. Well, they are in Nigeria, I am in USA, but said that can use my INFO. to apply for loans and I will be responsible for thousands of dollars to pay back as well as the phones I send to Malaysia based on the request of the girl at the time, were fraud already under investigation, that authority can take me to jail since delivered the box of cell phone at home. They were my concern, must say again the only info. have on me is just my address @ name, if u can answer me. THANK YOU KAMAL
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
A person cannot apply for credit using only your name and address. They need your date of birth and social security number, too.
If you're worried that they will somehow get that information, you can contact Experian, TransUnion, and Equifax and tell them you want to put a freeze on your credit. They'll give you a password ***** you can use if you need to apply for credit, but if anyone else tries, it'll be denied.