Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with significant fraud prevention experience.
60109343

Nigeria lottery world bank group, at [email protected],

Customer Question

Nigeria lottery world bank group, at [email protected], Tel. ***-***-****793. Mr. ***** ***** Telephones me stating I am beneficiary to a international lottery.The bank handling funds, Wold Bank Group p.o.box*****Plot. 433 Yacubu Gowon cersent Assokord, district Abuja, Nigeria. Is it fraud.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Yes, this is a clear fraud. For one, most of the world's online fraud originates from Nigeria and other places in west Africa, so any time you are informed of a "too good to be true" offer from there you can be virtually assure it is part of a scam attempt.
But this is identifiable as a fraud for the simple reason that international lotteries are illegal. You could not have won a lottery from Nigeria or having anything to do with the country of Nigeria because any such lottery would be operated against the law. There are many examples of Nigeria frauds being operated from the address you were given, which you can review for yourself here: https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=251284
What these people are doing is operating an advanced fee fraud. Basically the way it works is that victims are informed of financial windfalls such as lotteries or inheritances and then told they need to pay money up front to get their cash. Of course, there is nothing for the victim and this is just a ploy to get the victim to send their own up front payment, which the scammer then disappears with.
In the next days or weeks, be on the look out for similar "too good to be true" notices you may receive about lotteries, grants, or inheritances. These will be further scams perpetrated by the same individual contacting you now under a different guise. Scammers love to double back on potential victims like this with "followup scams" in the hope that, though they couldn't trick you the first time, they will trick you the next.
In the mean time, you would be wise to immediately cease further contact with this scammer and exercise extreme caution moving forward.
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.