Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer.
26798026

We have given several amounts of money to a man who claims

Customer Question

We have given several amounts of money to a man who claims to work on huge money deals in Singapore. The last one was for $20,000, we would receive $200,00 within a few hours and a huge amount after that as that was the last fee he needed to pay the bank to transfer the money.
Of course, nothing ever happens as he says. He always has many excuses and the story goes on and on,.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that this happened.
Sometimes these matters can be complicated, confusing or personal and this question/answer format can become frustrating. If at any time you feel you’d rather communicate with me directly via private email or have me review documents you've received, I would be available for a small additional fee. Just let me know during the course of our conversation and I can send you information about it.
With that said, this is a scam. There is never any legitimate reason to pay someone to send you money. Bank transfer fees are usually nominal amounts, and they're deducted from the total money being sent. You don't have to wire transfer someone money to get money back - and those wire transfer fees you're paying are the ONLY thing it would cost the other person to send money back to you.
This is a very common scam, called advance fee fraud. The most important thing you can do is STOP sending money, because it's nearly impossible to get it back. Since you have already sent money, you should report it to the FBI via the Internet Crime Complaint Center.
http://www.ic3.gov/complaint/default.aspx
Also, beware of follow-up scams. Sometimes in this situation, the scam artists will have a friend contact you and offer to get your money back - for a small, upfront fee, sent via Western Union or wire transfer. It's just a more despicable part of the original scam. Don't fall for it.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.