Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Someone sold me a trailer home they don't own , i have all

Customer Question

someone sold me a trailer home they don`t own , i have all receipts and paperwork
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Do you know the identity and location of the seller? I ask that because there's a well-known vehicle scam along these lines and if that is what went on here, then this is a police matter.
Here's how that scam goes:
You see a desirable motor home in an advertisement. The cost is way below its book value. The seller is typically either out of your area of the country or advertising it from abroad. He can't let you see and inspect the vehicle, nor will he allow for an agent of yours to come see it on your behalf. Typically, he will say that he's in the military and about to be deployed, but whatever his excuse, there is no possible way you or your agent can come and inspect this motor home.
But don't worry, he assures you. The motor home is a good one and you will be able to have 5 days (or so) to inspect it during which time you can send it back. He may give you information about the title and the VIN number. Meanwhile, he tells you, your money will be held by Google Checkout, PayPal, or some so-called transportation and escrow company, while you look it over. If once you inspect it you decide to get motor home, he tells you that the escrow agent will release your money to the seller. He may even "throw in" the cost of shipping and insurance, to sweeten the deal because he is in such a hurry to clinch this deal.
You'll get an email providing you with payment instructions. That will usually involve a wire transfer using Western Union or MoneyGram to a so-called agent or courier. Then you sit back to wait for your car. By the time you figure out that it's never going to arrive, your "seller"and the "agent" have disappeared without a trace and your money along with him. You try to find him, but none of the information you got turns out to be true. Your seller vanishes into thin air and your money along with him.
If this is what happened to you, you can sue him or have him prosecuted but only if you find him and that's going to require the police. So report the fraud to your local police, to the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov. If you did a bank to bank wire transfer, instead of one through Western Union or MoneyGram, they willl have a startiing point to trace the scammer. Maybe you will be among the lucky ones and the thief will be caught and your money returned.
If this is not your story, please tell me how you found this trailer home, whether you can locate your seller, how you were able to find the actual owner and how much money you paid for it.