Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I just got scamed People saying they were from the IRS . They

Customer Question

I just got scamed People saying they were from the IRS . They said I would go to jail if I di did not pay the tax that is owed and the mistakes I made on my taxes from 2008. Paid them 19,000.00 by prepaid cards. was really scared and did it. I feel so bad.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were so angry and I did what they said so I wouldn't so to jail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
I'm sorry that you fell for this very popular scam. If you have spoken to the IRS, then they have told you I am sure that they do not make such phone calls.
When the IRS really does audit you and determines that you really do owe money, you don't get a call or an email. You get a written notification from them. The notice is on an official government form and includes the information you need to reply to them, so that you can show that their calculations are in error and ask for a hearing. You will not get a phone call.
If you are silly enough to disregard the letter, eventually what will happen is that the IRS will levy your bank account and seize all of your assets. What they will not seize is you. We do not have debtor's prison in this country, and you cannot go to jail for failing to pay a civil debt, even if the money is owed to the IRS. So the very fact that this "agent" threatened you with an arrest is a sign that this cannot possibly be a legitimate phone call.
Also, as I'm sure you know from years of paying taxes, the government doesn't accept prepaid cards for tax debt.
The IRS is very aware of scams perpetrated in its name. Scams like this have been going around for a long time. You can see warnings from the IRS about audit and other types of scams here.
http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-Warns-of-New-E-Mail-and-Telephone-Scams-Using-the-IRS-Name%3B-Advance-Payment-Scams-Starting
The IRS tells you how they want you to handle this scam here on their website:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Warns-of-Pervasive-Telephone-Scam
They recommend that you call the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration at 800*366*4484 and file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov.
The IRS may have already told you that. But as you did lose $19,000 to this scam, you should also report the fraud to your police. While you can sue these folks or have them prosecuted if you can find your scammers, unfortunately finding them will be a job for law enforcement and the only way you're going to get your money back is if the authorities can turn these folks up and bring them to justice.
Meanwhile, however, you have to take steps to prevent further identity theft. If you gave these thieves any important information about yourself such as your social security number or bank and credit account information, you need to take all possible precautions against identity theft. If you need information on how to do that please reply and let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are very good at what they do. I thought I was the only one to have this happen to.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
NO! As you can see from the links I've given you, there are plenty of scams that use the IRS name. This particular scam has been going on for years. It gets worse around tax time, but all year long people are scared to death of the IRS, and scammers know how to manipulate people to their advantage.
You are right. They are very, very good at what they do. Scammers are cold-hearted professional thieves and they will fleece you out of your last dime if you let them.
Don't beat up on yourself. You've got plenty of company when it comes to this scam. Just report the fraud, as I have said above.
You also need to talk to an accountant. When you are the victim of a crime, your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible. So even if the police and FBI come up empty, you will be able to recover some of your losses in the form of a deduction from your 2015 tax return.
Also, once scammers get you, they come back again at some point in a different disguise to try to fleece you all over again. Don't believe anyone who calls you and says that they have the money you lost on this scam and will give it back to you if for any reason they ask you for money up front. That's just another scam and the up front fee is the #1 sign. Come back and check with us first before sending money off to any stranger you've never dealt with who makes out of the blue contact with you and asks you for money.