Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Dear investigator I have been getting phone calls from naples

Customer Question

dear investigator I have been getting phone calls from naples florida a man named jack warner and Richard Patterson have been calling me for a week in a half . I was told that I had won 7 and a half million dollars , but they told me that I had to pay 7,000 500 dollars to the f.d. I. c. in order to claim this money I have contacted the naples state police office and pa. state police and can give me no answer what should I do is this a scam from publishers clearing house, or not ? please let me know the truth deeply appreate your response . thank you frank g balog
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
This is most definitely a scam. You should stop talking to these folks, because they won't go away until you do. As long as you keep taking their phone calls, they will keep right on trying to convince you.
The FDIC insures banks. They have nothing to do with private individuals, and they have nothing to do with lotteries and sweepstakes.
Also, when you are the real winner of a contest, THE MONEY IS ALREADY YOURS. So if the contest needs your money to pay for transfer expenses, they already have it. They don't need to take more of it from your pocket. Any legitimate contest would just deduct it and give you the rest with no strings attached. Asking you to pay anything at all before you can collect your winnings is the #1 sign of a contest scam.
Publishers Clearing House is very aware of all of the scams perpetrated in their name, and their site warns you that YOU NEVER HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING AT ALL out of pocket for any reason at all, when you really win one of their contests.
You can see the PCH warnings here for yourself:
http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/tips-a-warning-signs
Publishers Clearing House provides a phone number that you can call if you have a question about whether or not you have really won one of their contests. You will see it as Tip #8 on the Publisher's Clearinghouse official website that I linked you to above.
Cease all further contact with these scammers. Send no money to them. Report the scam to your police, the FBI at IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov