Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I was scammed, and to get my computer serviced I have been

Customer Question

I was scammed, and to get my computer serviced I have been charged $1,999.00 for 14 procedures. Have I been scammed again or is that a legitimate cost for repairs? Alice
Category: Fraud Examiner
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a password ***** I have not used your service in the past.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
Best Tech 247 is a young company that incorporated in NYS in 2013. The Better Business Bureau has reviewed them and on their rating scale from A to F they have given the company a B rating, which is a good one.
They have been watching then for a year now, during which time they have had a number of complaints about them. However, the company has been responsive to those complaints, which his why the B. You can see the review of this company and read the complaint history here on the BBB's website:
http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/computers-hardware-software-and-services/best-tech-247-inc-in-mineola-ny-149026/
If you called this company yourself and you were dealing with the real Best Tech 247, you were NOT scammed.
However, in the future, the time to look into a computer tech company is BEFORE you deal with them and not after you allow them remote access to your computer. Allowing anyone or any company into your computer without fully vetting their reputation first is a good way to get hacked and to give an unscrupulous person access to all of your accounts.
Here's how the computer scam works so that you will know it again when you see it:
You get a cold call from a supposed computer tech company, usually, but not always, claiming to be associated with Microsoft/Windows or some other important company and telling you that your computer has bugs which they can repair for you. Many of these calls actually originate from overseas, especially India, and the caller may have a heavy accent.
What these folks are looking to do is to is to get remote access and/or to install malware which would allow them to hack into your computer, phish for passwords, get into your accounts and rob you blind.
The best way to avoid the scam is to take your computer to a local tech that you can see for yourself in person and who works for a local well-known business where computers and electronics are sold and have him debug your computer.
Or, if you're technically savvy, you can post a question in our computer section here on just answer where a verified computer technician can walk you through the debugging. When you are through, change all of your PIN numbers and passwords that you use online.
If you want to double check that Best Tech did the job right and that there's no malware left in your computer, letting one of our computer techs help you with that would be safe and very inexpensive. For your peace of mind, it may be a good idea.