Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I inadvertently clicked on something on a questionable site,

Customer Question

I inadvertently clicked on something on a questionable site, I thought I was closing the window butit opened instead. It is telling me I am I violation of all kinds of pornography laws and pirating music What is this? They do seem to have my ipad locked.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
There is a very popular computer scam going around. Generally, it happens when you are watching some porn on the web. Your computer gets locked and you see a notice saying that you are in violation of various federal laws and that the authorities are going to arrest you. The notice usually says that you can avoid this and unlock your computer by buying paying the "government" some money.
You can relax. The message you saw has nothing to do with the law, and you are not in trouble. You will not be arrested. When the government wants to prosecute you, you can't buy them off. They don't give you advance warning so that you have the time to destroy or erase your computer's hard drive and/or disappear. When they really want you, they show up at your door with a with a warrant for your arrest. And they NEVER ask for money.
So again, YOU ARE NOT AT RISK OF AN ARREST OR PROSECUTION. DO NOT SEND THESE SCAMMERS ANY MONEY.
The only thing you have to worry about is an infected computer, because this scam is all about infecting your machine with a virus.
You need to post a question in our computer section to ask what program you can run to get rid of any malware and spyware that surfing that site may have put in your computer, and they will walk you through it. You are not risking arrest, but you may be open to being hacked by scammers committing identity theft.
There are solutions on the web to unlock your computer, but some of them may be scams too. So let our computer techs in our computer category help you to debug it, or take your tablet to a local computer store that you know and trust and let one of their techs do it
You can read more about this scam/virus here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=money+pak+computer+scam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8