Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

Return Mail Processing Center in Portland Oregon sent me a

Customer Question

Return Mail Processing Center in Portland Oregon sent me a snail mail stating my personal data may have been compromised and goes on to tell me I should buy their product. Is this a scam?
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Did the letter look something like one of these, though from a business you are already dealing with? If so, it is not a scam. It is a legitimate notice that there's been a security leak at a business or institution that has your records. Since they do not know whose information may be compromised, they are alerting you to the possibility that yours may be among them. If you are concerned about it, you do not have to buy the recommended products, but you might want to take precautions against identity theft. If this is not similar to the letter you got and you could scan that letter and upload it with your reply, I could give you more details.