Law Educator, Esq., Consultant
Experience:  24+ years law enforcement. Licensed Attorney.
10285032

I just received notification that I won $500,000 from the International

Customer Question

I just received notification that I won $500,000 from the International Publisher's Clearing House. I do not remember entering any international contest. I have entered many Publisher's Clearing House lotteries.
I have no idea if this is a scam or not They told me to check my claim # (P921k477C) with the US Lottery and Game Commission. The number they gave me was(###) ###-#### I do not get an answer at this number (but it could all be part of the scam).
They are saying that I will have to pay $2000 in taxes up front and it cannot come out of the winnings. I am not sure this is legit.
Is there any way that I can check for certain to see if this is a scam?
Pat Klemmer
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
This is a scam and Publisher's Clearing House has warnings all over their site about this. PCH will NEVER ask you to pay money to collect your prize. If there is any tax due it does come from winnings and this company telling you it cannot come from winnings is what makes it a scam. There is also no such thing as the US Lottery and Gaming Commission. This whole thing is a scam. See also: http://info.pch.com/consumer-information/fraud-protection
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually called the US Lottery and Game Commissioners(###) ###-####-a trunk line number given to me by Richard Donoff from the law offices of Craig Donoff in South Florida). I spoke with a ***** ***** (batch number 008420) who claims to be a federal agent with the FBI. He claims that my claim # ***** does exist and is for $500.000. He said that I would be depositing my $2000 in the HSBC bank, not with the law firm. I think this must be deposited before they deliver the cashiers check for $500,000. It is my understanding that tax funds can and should be taken from the award, not the individual receiving the award.
Is the law firm a bogus firm? They are listed on line and on Martindale Hubble site (law offices of Craig Donoff). If the firm is legitimate, then could they actually be promoting this scam?
The award is being offered by Consumers Clearing House (sweepstakes prize). Does such an organization exist (did find on line)? They said the check would be delivered by the International Courier Express. Do they exist?
Any insights you can provide would be much appreciated. I need to get back with Richard Donoff today.
Thank you, ***** *****
Thank you for your reply.
That is a bunch of BS, there is no such US Lottery and Game Commission. Look at the link I gave you, Publisher's Clearing House themselves tells you these are scams.
If you deposit anything you can kiss it goodbye and you will not see a penny of the $500,000, this is a scam. You are being lied to. The person you spoke to is a fake, there is NO Richard Donoff that is licensed to practice law in FL. He is pretending to be a lawyer. See: http://www.floridabar.org/wps/portal/flbar/home/directories/MBR/!ut/p/a1/jZDLDoIwEEW_hqV0Wouiu0YlgiIaULEbAwaBBCgBlPj34mOjEXV2k5yTuXcQRy7imXeOQ6-KReYlt5339kDIBFs2GEDnGrCVPVjPlhimJmmAXQOYA8wwVcFQKdNA3_Q3et_BhC2U_3xoGQa__C3ir4g10sbATDqeU2eBTYU8gZaIYOHvwL3D40R7SOOPmizzu2qIeBEcgyIo5FPRvDeqqrwcSiBBXddyKESYBPJBpJ-ESJQVct-4PF27EOsd7l_qKzIiFeU!/dl5/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
There is no ***** ***** either as there really is no such federal agency called the US Lottery and Gaming Commission.
You need to not give them a dime and report these clowns to the FBI.