How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Zoey_JD Your Own Question

Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Category: Fraud Examiner
Satisfied Customers: 23950
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
Type Your Fraud Examiner Question Here...
Zoey_JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Somebody call my phone and told me i was approved loan

Customer Question

Somebody call my phone and told me i was approved for a loan and told me to send them money on two different occasions i need my money back plus pain and suffering please if nothing else i just want my money back it was almost 500 dollars
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this question. It is illegal here to charge an up front fee for a loan. Conditioning a loan on the payment of an up front fee is the #1 sign of a loan scam. If you can find out where this company really is and they are somewhere in the US, you can sue them in small claims court. You can do that yourself without having to hire a lawyer and you wouldn't have to lay out money on legal fees. Unfortunately, however, most of these phony loan companies are not in the US. That would mean you'd have to sue them in the country where they are, or sue them here but not through small claims court. That would not be practical. If you know the name of the company and give me a website, I can look at it and let you know if it's a real but unethical company or if it is an out and out scam. I suspect it is the latter because of the up front fee, and if so, getting your money back is going to be a job for law enforcement. Report the fraud to your police, to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center and to the Federal Trade Commission. As for the $500, if the authorities can't find these folks either, the only bright note I can give you is that when you are the victim of a crime your unreimbursed losses are tax deductible. So at worst you will have a $500 deduction when you file your 2015 income taxes, not what you hoped for I'm sure but still better than nothing.