Ely, Consultant
Experience:  Attorney in law with focus on consumer protection
7286322

I think I am being scammed by a Csm Michael T Hall currently

Customer Question

I think I am being scammed by a Csm Michael T Hall currently stationed in Kabul Afghanistan, he has managed to get a substantial amount of money from me and he has also overdrawn my bank account in the amount of $1819 so please let me know if this is what has happened, he has plied me with promises of marriage he also has a'UN envoy by the name of James Wiise
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
Is he saying that he is a soldier? If so, then with what country - US, or UK?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is currently serving with the US Army in Afghanistan
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
You are being scammed.
And he is not a soldier.
Allow me to point out the red flags:
1) There has been a rash of scammers pretending to be US Soldiers. See here.
2) What he did was likely use some kind of "419" scam on you - see here:
The latest incarnation of the so-called 419 email scam features an American soldier in Iraq, rather than a deposed African prince, in need of help in moving a large sum of money to the U.S.
Good day, the scammer begins, perhaps not realizing thats not exactly how U.S. soldiers routinely greet people. My name in ***** ***** Fitte, an American soldier serving in the military of the 3rd infantry division in Iraq.
The email claims the sergeant and his confederates have been hiding $25 million in Saddams loot since 2003, but with the new U.S. troop surge, he expresses concern the stash might be uncovered. Therefore, he needs help getting the money out of the country.
That, of course, is where you come in.
The email promises a generous percentage of the cash if the email recipient will agree to accept it. From here, the scam works like any other advance fee scheme.
Victims will be asked to provide bank account information for a direct deposit. Or they may be asked to send money, $500 to $2,500 at a time, to facilitate the alleged transfer.
Even though these "419" email scams have been around almost as long as the Internet, people still fall for them. It has been estimated that there are well over 250,000 scammers involved in 419 scams worldwide and that they reap in over $1.5 billion annually.
The average victim pays out about $20,000.

Here, this was simply a variation of this.
3) You can verify if he is real by sending him a request for his name, DOB, and SSN (Social Security Number, all US Citizens/permanent residents have it). Then you can run it through the official database here. Chances are, it will not match up. Or, he will give some phony reason for not being able to provide it but do not believe him. But since he has your money, he may not even respond.
You need to cut all contact with him, and file a report with the IC3 so it would go to the FBI and proper authorities here.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.