Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

I have been in contact with an Agnes Biney who states she lives

Customer Question

I have been in contact with an Agnes Biney who states she lives in accra. She is supposedly coming out to see me (flying) on the weekend and has borrowed flight money to the value of $2200 with the help of her mother. I sent $240 for Visa which she said is for 6 years staying in Australia. She needs another $1000 from me for air fare. Her phone number is 223574762967 she has been on skype where I could see her and she is the same as photos. When I ring her the voice sounds muffled and hard to understand. Could this be a scam.
Thank you
Rex
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
This is going to be a scam. Ghana is the capital of the world when it comes to romance scams. Any Ghanaian on line romance who has asked you for money is a guaranteed fraud. She may be the same person on Skype as in her photos. That doesn't mean a thing. Romance scammers in Ghana are professional thieves. They hire women to appear on Skype or webcam but she is no more Agnes Biney than I am.
We answer questions like this all of the time, and we have NEVER met one single internet romance from Ghana who turned out to be the real thing once she asks for money.
The name Agnes Biney has been associated with romance scams for a while now. Here are some scam reports. The photos could change, as could her particulars since scammers change their persona details all the time to stay one step ahead of law enforcement, but the name is ***** ***** scam circles and has been reported:
https://www.scamwarners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=58921&p=167025
Here are the signs of an internet scammer, and if they sound familiar, you can expect her to have some last minute emergency which will prevent her from getting on the plane this weekend and which will cost you several more thousand dollars:
- the scammer reaches out to you on a dating or social networking website and she falls in love with you at first sight.
- She moves in on you and rushes the relationship towards some kind of a commitment. She pulls you off the site where you met and tells you that she wants an exclusive relationship with you via webcam, skype, Yahoo messenger, etc. She flirts with you, seduces you and teases you sexually, especially when she is talking about gifts and money.
- And as soon as she knows that she's got you all really hot and interested, she starts asking for things or money. She wants to see you but she will need plane tickets and/or a visa, and a Declaration fee or a Basic Travel Allowance. (no such thing) But then after you've paid all that, she'll have an emergency that keeps her from getting on that plane -- a car accident on the way to the airport. A legal problem with an inheritance from her late father or mother or a problem with her job. A mugging and a trip to the hospital. A dying mother/father/sister/brother/self who can't pay hospital bills. An arrest at the airport or a problem with Customs. These are just some of the most popular excuses. There are many others.
No matter what the phony excuse, however, she will say that you're her only hope to solve her problems. And all of her problems will cost you money. A lot of it. Despite that, she will never get an inch closer to boarding that plane.
- She will want the money wired via Western Union or MoneyGram, which has no protection for the sender. It's like throwing your money away.
Once she starts asking for gifts or money, You can bet that she's not who and what you think she is. She's a group of thieves, almost always men, sitting at an internet cafe somewhere overseas, working together to rob too trusting, good hearted men and women such as yourself of all of their money.
If you send her money, she'll just come up with another emergency to ask you for more. And another. And another until you catch wise or go broke, whichever happens first.
If you want to upload photos of her for me to look over or documents she may have sent you, you can do so, and I'd be happy to look further.
Use the reply tab below to respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Agnes has told me she has done a degree at the University of Ghana. She has given me an address as 48/2 Cape Coast. She has told she lives with her mother which the details she gave me were .......Kern Annan Arthur...Accra.48/2 Cape Coast. The mother sent an email saying she has worked in a bank for 9 years.
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
Right. And I can tell you that I'm a personal friend of the President of the United States, that I went to Harvard Law and that I spend my summers cruising the Aegean. It doesn't make it true, because it isn't. Still, how would you know I was lying if I didn't tell you.
Why would you expect a con artist to tell you the truth about herself when she is counting on your money? How do you know that her "mother" is really her mother rather than someone who is in on the con? Do you honestly think a thief will confess and say, "Yes, I'm a crook?" Not a chance. She will continue to manipulate you so that you will wire her money.
She's from Ghana and has asked you for up front money. Her name has been reported as a scammer. Her address is insufficient and can't be found on Google maps. The odds of her turning up this weekend are zero. She'll have an "emergency," an "accident" or "arrest" for which she'll need even more money.
Sorry. We hear this stuff day in and day out. I know you'd like to believe her, but hang on to your cash. Once it's gone, you'll never see it again. As for her, you won't see her either. She's not who, what or where she says she is, and when your money runs out, so will she.