Zoey_JD
Zoey_JD, Criminal attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

DO YOU HAVE A RAYMOND HUMPREY ASSIGNED TO GET DOCUMENTATION

Customer Question

DO YOU HAVE A RAYMOND HUMPREY ASSIGNED TO GET DOCUMENTATION FROM ME AT A COST OF 4 THOUSAND $ SO THAT I CAN RECEIVE A TOTAL WINNING OF 850,000???
HE FIRST SAID THAT HE WORKED FOR THE FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION.
HIS NUMBER(###) ###-#### ***** ALSO GAVE THIS NUMBER(###) ###-####
HE ALSO CALLS ME FROM(###) ###-####A FLORIDA NUMBER ONE NUMBER WAS FROM JAMACIA
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  Zoey_JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question.
You appear to already realize that this is a scam. You're correct about that.
The Federal Trade Commission does not have anything to do with the distribution of contest winnings. They don't call private individuals to discuss contests. The Federal Trade Commission has no jurisdiction in Jamaica.
When you really win a contest, the money is already yours. You never have to pay anything out of pocket to collect what you already own. The up front fee is the #1 sign of a contest fraud.
Additionally, you can't win a contest you haven't entered. If you'd really won a lottery, you'd have a lottery ticket with numbers that would match the numbers drawn at random and published in the paper and on the lottery's website. If you really won a sweepstakes you'd have your half of the sweepstakes entry form. In either case, you'd be required to show that ticket or form in order to collect your winnings. I know you don't have that because there's no legitimate contest that would require you to pay anything up front to receive your winnings.
I agree that you spent too much time talking with this person. As a result you can expect to be contacted by many more scammers of all sorts. Cease all contact with them. Send no money. The caller is out of the country and thus outside of the reach of US law. But you can report him to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov. The FBI is partnered there with Interpol who can transmit the information you have to foreign law enforcement bureaus. Also report the incident to the real Federal Trade Commission at FTC.gov
Keep in mind going forward that any unsolicited out of the blue news you get which is too good to be true is always just some scammer phishing for personal identifying information and looking to commit fraud at your expense.