RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney experienced in criminal and various other areas of law.
18284290

Shaw Financial Incorporated. A sweepstakes winnings of $300,000. They

Customer Question

Shaw Financial Incorporated.
A sweepstakes winnings of $300,000.
They had me deposit a check of $3950.00
And than want me to takeout $3650.00 in cash to give to a fed ex courier.
It sounds like a scam. But I did deposit the check.
Please advise on this.
Margaret Jensen
Category: Fraud Examiner
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. It will be my pleasure to assist you. Sometimes, I have to deliver bad news as an expert on this site, and this is unfortunately one of those types. You are correct that this is a scam. No official lottery or sweepstakes is going to have you pay a fee for taxes, delivery, etc. That is not how legitimate sweepstakes operators or other companies operate. If you have really won, you will pay taxes directly to the government. This is a check scam. The law requires that a bank pay you funds for the check presented to them, however, they have no way of being able to tell you whether the check is valid until it is presented to the company or person who allegedly issued it, which can days or weeks. When the check ultimately bounces, the bank will look to you to pay them back the full amount of the check. You can read more about these fake check scams here:http://www.consumerfed.org/index.php/consumer-privacy/fake-check-scamsYou definitely should report the matter to authorities. I'm not sure how you were contacted initially - if it was via email, you should also file a report with www.ic3.gov, which is a joint task force with the FBI involving online/internet scams. If you were contacted through the mail, you'd want to also contact the U.S. Postmaster General.As far as being able to recover the money, the reality is that's not likely to happen. These scammers are very good - they use fake names, fake addresses, etc. If operating online, they tend to use untraceable IP addresses. Many times, these scams are being run from overseas. We get a lot of questions from people who have been victimized, and I've not had a single person ever tell me they got their money back.I am truly sorry I couldn't give you better news or tell you otherwise. If you have any follow-up questions for me, please use the REPLY option, I'll be happy to assist you.